[WSF-Discuss] Melbourne Social Forum 2009, April 17-19

CACIM cacim at cacim.net
Tue Apr 7 15:42:36 CDT 2009

Melbourne Social Forum 2009, April 17-19
Start: 04/17/2009 - 00:37
End: 04/18/2009 - 00:37
Timezone: Etc/GMT+11
@ http://latinlasnet.org/node/254

More Info: http://www.melbournesocialforum.org/

The 'In the Hot-House' festival combines the celebration of music, art,
craft, dance, films and food with an exploration of the environmental and
social challenges that exist in our own backyards and around the world.
Learn how to take action on climate change as some of the best of
Melbourne's environmental and community groups show you 'What you can do'
and present alternatives perspectives on the crises facing us today.

Festival Launch
Friday 17th April, 6.30 pm - 9.30 pm Room 11.01 (11th Floor)
Victoria University City Campus, 300 Flinders St

The Festival opens with a public forum led by engaging and passionate
speakers to open the mind, warm the spirit and give us hope of a better
tomorrow with positive solutions to climate change. Entry $2

Indigenous community member, Adam Frogley will perform a Welcome to Country
and the charismatic Gilbert Rochecouste from Village Well will introduce our
speakers. Speakers include:

* Tanya Ha - Television presenter, environmentalist and successful green
lifestyle writer
* David Spratt - Co-author of Climate Code Red, co-founder of Carbon Equity
* Kirsten Laursen - Victoria Eco Innovation Lab's policy research manager
* Mosese Waqa - Pacific Islands Network

Look at our Friday program to learn more about the speakers, topics and
Friday night opening.

Vic Uni Location: Melways Map 43 H9, Google Map & Parking. Short walk from
Flinders Street Station. Please BYO water or cup to help us out.

Weekend Festival
Saturday 18th April 10 am - 9 pm & Sunday 19th 10 am - 5.30 pm
CERES Community Environmental Park, Cnr Roberts & Stewart st, East Brunswick

The festival program continues at the picturesque and inspiring CERES
Environmental Park. The program is busting at the seams and consists of art,
music, workshops, food, drink, films, children's entertainment and much more
including the premiere performance collaborative performance project with
two Moreland based schools, Voices of our Future.

Festival Highlights Include:

* Music from The Conch, Orkeztra Glasso Bashalde, Radiant City and more.
* Collaborative art projects across the site including Photography,
Sculpture and Found Art with contributions from the 'Outsiders Guide',
Sudeep, Ero, Peter Hutchinson and more coming
* 'Voices of our Future' schools drama performance
* Children’s Clown, face painting and kids workshops
* Food and drink from local and sustainable companies, including the
infamous Good Brew beer bike
* Workshops on a wide variety of subjects from environmental issues, open
source technology, radical craft, alternative thought, green renting, Slow
living and activism. Run a workshop or see workshop schedule
* Community stalls to inform and educate. Apply for a stall or view
confirmed stalls
* Film night showcasing short films on environmental and social issues
(6.30pm, Sat 18th)

Tickets at gate: One day concession $5.00 / Full $10, Two days concession
$10 / Full $15, Film night $2

CERES Location: Melways Map 30 B-7, Google Map, Public Transport Tram 96 Bus
503 & bike, & Parking only at Cretan Brotherhood Car Park on cnr Stewart &
Nicholson St.

More Info: http://www.melbournesocialforum.org/