[WSF-Discuss] KCTU letter on COSATU-WSF Issue
p.waterman at inter.nl.net
Fri Apr 17 01:50:34 CDT 2009
April 8, 2009
Dear Bro. Zwelinzima Vavi <http://www.cosatu.org.za/leadezava.htm>
*Re : Condolences and WSF IC meeting in Moroco*
I would like to send you sincere fraternal greetings from KCTU. At the
same time, I have to say that I was shocked to hear the tragic news that
the late Deputy President, Sis. Violet Seboni passed away by car
accident on April 3^rd . I wish to express the deepest condolences on
behalf of KCTU to the COSATU comrades and her families.
I am writing to you to share KCTU views around the issue of World Social
Forum International Council meeting supposed to be held from May 6^th to
9^th , in Rabat, Moroco.
First of all, I would like to express that KCTU respects and understands
COSATU¡¯s position on the issue of WSF IC meeting in Moroco. We
recognize that there exists serious oppression and human rights
violation in Western Sahara by the government of Moroco. KCTU believes
that world social movements and trade union movements should firmly
stand in with the oppressed including Western Saharan people. At the
same time, we also agree with the suggested point by you that the
guidelines for the venue of WSF related events should be discussed in
the IC meeting so as to avoid adverse effect of a certain WSF event. In
this regard, I would like to emphasize that the discussion should be
launched in the forthcoming IC meeting with full consideration of
negative as well as positive effect of future proposed venues. Lastly we
would also like to point out that the WSF process should be developed
based on mass movements and the spirit of globalization of resistance,
not on the fund-raisers.
I am sure that we can raise and discuss the above-mentioned issues in
the IC meeting in Moroco and hopefully get some positive results and
progress. Therefore I am kindly asking you to consider sending your
representative to IC meeting in Moroco. Surely we can work together in
the IC meeting so as to make the WSF process move forward. Again, I
would like to emphasize that your presence in the IC meeting would be
significantly critical for the progress of WSF process.
Lastly, please feel free to give me any advices or suggestions on this
issue. KCTU is ready to hear any advices or suggestions and have a
sincere dialogue with you to find a reasonable solution.
I look forward to hearing from you.
* 'Needed: A Global Labour Charter Movement', ESF Malmo Update: http://www.netzwerkit.de/projekte/waterman/gc
* 'Challenging Empires: The World Social Forum. (2nd Edition, 488 pp). Ordering: http://www.blackrosebooks.net/wsf.htm
* 'Back in the (Ex-) USSR': http://zope2.netzwerkit.de/RusRepLatest.pdf
* 'Recovering Internationalism; Creating New Global Solidarity', http://www.choike.org/nuevo_eng/informes/6439.html
* 'Prague 1968: "Workers of the World, Forgive Me!"', http://www.tni.org/archives/waterman/prague1968.pdf
* 'A Union Internationalism for the 21stC', http://www.plutobooks.com/cgi-local/nplutobrows.pl?chkisbn=9780745327563
* 'International Labour Studies in the UK’, in "Work Organisation Labour and Globalisation", Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 180-200. http://www.analyticapublications.co.uk/
I am using the free version of SPAMfighter.
We are a community of 6 million users fighting spam.
SPAMfighter has removed 1203 of my spam emails to date.
Get the free SPAMfighter here: http://www.spamfighter.com/len
The Professional version does not have this message
More information about the WorldSocialForum-Discuss