[WSF-Discuss] [Fwd: [Wsfic-methodology] EN/ES/PT Strategy Commission Crisis Paper; Paper sobre la crise, por la Comision de Estrategia / Texto sobre a crise, pela Comissão de Estratégia]

Jai Sen jai.sen at cacim.net
Wed Apr 29 07:23:25 CDT 2009

Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Traducción en español y francés a seguir / Traduction en espagnol et
en français à suivre

Friends
Here are some comments on this important document that was posted on
this list a few days ago, ‘Facing The Crisis’.

Since this draft paper has been posted for debate at the upcoming WSF
International Council meeting in Morocco, from May 6-9 2009 – about
one week away, now -, on what the WSF’s perspective and strategy
should be within the current world situation, and this is certainly
an important question, now is the time that we should be debating this.

Although a relatively small paper (six pages), it has a major
ambition, and has been put forward before the Council of what I
believe is an important world body and process; and so I believe we
must take it at face value and speak to it and what lies behind it,
and raise any concerns we have about it.  I attempt to do this in the
following comments, which I have somewhat hurriedly prepared just in
order to make these issues public, and where I make no pretence at
all that this is a comprehensive discussion of the paper.

Finally, let me make clear that there are my personal views, and not
of the organisation I work with, where we have not had time to
discuss all this as yet :

1.     At first sight and reading, this is obviously a serious
document that should be critically discussed within the WSF (and not
only at and in the International Council), and also in and among
movements and organisations themselves.  Most particularly, because
it poses questions and issues at a ‘global’ level – not only
geographically but also conceptually and systemically.

2.     It’s also good to see and know that the IC is commissioning
such papers and then discussing them, because it lends a very
necessary organised seriousness to its work, including of
deliberating on general issues such as to how take forward the WSF as
a process and also on more particular ones, such as where to hold the
next world meeting of this world process.

3.     Having said this, I want to make some comments, first about
process and then about content.  I have to first say that I
personally find the language of the paper dense, ideologically
muffled, and difficult to penetrate; and perhaps as a result, I am
not always sure that I know what it is saying or wants to say, or
what its positions are.  My first thought was that maybe the problem
was that it has no defined author - that it was perhaps an analysis
written by a committee !  Or that it perhaps had lost something in
translation, somewhere.  But on some digging, I have realised that
this is in fact only a slightly revised (and retitled) draft of a
paper that was also circulated and verbally presented at the IC
meeting in Belém this past January, with that version authored by
Gustave Massiah, as President of CRID (Centre de Recherche et
d'Information pour le Développment), in France.1  This fact however
raises 2-3 questions : One, if this paper was already presented to
and discussed at the IC meeting in Belém, why is it being presented
again, and in a (only slightly) revised form ?  On the one hand, is
it really for discussion, or is it actually for (quick) adoption ?
(Which is rather different, especially when it comes from something
called a “Strategy Commission”.  And I come back to this below.)  And
on the other, why is presenting this paper for a second time being
privileged over, say, a continued reflection on what happened at
Belém – which I have seen some IC members vehemently objecting to, on
a list ?  How does such privilege get decided ?  Who decides this ?

4.     Two, while not mentioning on the paper itself that it has been
put forward by the IC’s Strategy Commission may just be an oversight,
I find the lack of acknowledgement that this paper is only a slightly
re-worked version of one by an individual a little problematic; and
if there is anyone reading this posting who belongs to the Strategy
Commission and/or the WSF Secretariat, I would like to strongly
request that these shortcomings be addressed, and before the IC
meeting, not after.  Personally, I find this opacity, and this
anonymity, a little worrying, if - among other things – it is indeed
a document that some people want something like the International
Council of the World Social Forum to debate – and (it has to be
assumed) adopt.  In something like the WSF process, we need to know
clearly who is putting forward strategies, and why.  This should be
transparent.  Even the names of the members of the Strategy
Commission that authored this should be either mentioned or a link
given to where we can find this.  In short, and as some others and I
have often called for before this, the WSF needs to have a far more
consistently open, and less hidden and anonymous, process.  And if it
is only oversight that has led to this in this case, then it should
try to become less casual and sloppy, and/or private, from now on.
It needs to become much more aware of its significance in the world,
and of the importance of public accountability.  It is not a private
body.

I end these process points by underlining that even though this might
have been the ideal approach for me to take, I have not had the time
since seeing this revised paper to do the background research that
could answer these questions, and so I ask them openly here because I
think it is better to ask these questions – even if there are simple
answers – than not ask them.

Okay; now to move to some of the content :

5.     The characterisation of what is in this paper termed the
“alter-globalisation movement” as (a) one (ie in the singular) and
therefore monolithic, and (b) uniformly “progressive” is, to say the
least, forced, not to speak of false.  (One place among many where
this uniformity is asserted is in the opening line, where the
document says that The alter-globalisation movement is ‘anti-
systemic’ – thereby implying that It (with a capital I) is one and
that It stands together in being Against The System.)  It is surely
time to, first, come to terms with the fact that even within what
might be called ‘civil’ movements, there are many different
tendencies, with many internal contradictions, and that they cannot
and should not be all lumped together – even in a broad-brush
sketch.  If anything, it is precisely the diversity and complexity,
and at another level the weak links that exist between the different
tendencies, that is the beauty and strength of (world) movement
today.  On the other hand, it is also the case that when we dig a
little past the surface class, race, and gender similarities and
affinities, there are many profound contradictions between the
positions taken by individual constituents of this so-called
‘movement’.  This is so readily evident in the IC itself, where many
who are there have mixed (and sometimes ambiguous) views on even the
key issue that the WSF says it wants to address, neoliberal
globalisation. This is all the more important since in this paper
(and in others of this kind) It / this singular movement is sought to
be characterised as the (singular) agent of (revolutionary) change.
This is a false characterisation, and a false and therefore dangerous
foundation for analysis and strategy.  In short, this aspect of the
paper – and in way, the whole of it rests on this - needs major
revision.

6.     The paper is all about the so-called AGM (and not about the
WSF), and/but there is no discussion at all in the paper of the place
within the AGM of the WSF (and of the IC), and of their
interrelations, other than asserting that the IC “must engage with
these developments [that the paper deals with] with a great deal of
seriousness and innovativeness”.  In other words, it seems to sort of
assume (but not stated) that the WSF is a part of the AGM – and
implicitly, since it mentions no other, only of the AGM, and of no
other larger, wider movement.  I would like to suggest that this
question of location and relation is a key part of any strategic
perspective that the IC might like to develop – and also this
question of whether the WSF only belongs to the so-called AGM, and
whether it should only belong to this.  (And for that matter, since
the WSF’s Charter resonantly says that the WSF and the IC are not
representative, then whether the IC can even decide on something like
this.)  These are surely key questions for reflection within the IC.

7.     The lack of discussion of the (class, caste, race, and gender)
relations of the AGM (and implicitly, as above, of the WSF) with
other contemporary global socio-political actors and their various
ways of thinking is glaring – and to my mind, staggering, especially
given that the Belém Forum (with its much-vaunted focus on indigenous
peoples) has just taken place; such as indigenous peoples’ movements
in different parts of the world, movements of faith (and in
particular, the Islamic movements that are also so important today),
and movements among and of unrepresented nations and peoples; among
others.  To the opposite, the attitude of the paper towards such
movements – who have their own conceptualisations and cosmologies of
social justice – ranges between being arrogant and dismissive to
paternalistic.  (For instance, it suggests rather vaguely and
dismissively on p 3 that (all) “various other movements” are
“fundamentalist”.)  Though it does not go that far, by focussing only
on itself / the AGM, the paper comes dangerously close to an elitist
and separatist position.  I have elsewhere argued that this is the
role that “civil society” has historically always played;2 it is
worrying to sense that despite the widening of the composition of the
IC in recent years to include mass movements, this is once again
being proposed as its position and approach.  This is perhaps a
result of how theory and strategy is being formulated within the IC –
in the old way, by theory givers.

Given that the IC includes among its members organisations such as
the WCC (the World Council of Churches), and also individuals such as
François Houtart, as well as so many mass movements (though sadly, so
far only one indigenous peoples’ movement), and given their
extraordinary individual and organisational histories in this area
over so many decades now, I sincerely hope that this kind of position
will not get past the IC without very serious challenge and debate.
But if this movement, ie the one that the paper argues that the IC
should exclusively concern itself with and see itself as being a part
of (and even accepting the singularisation, for the moment), cannot
get past this attitude, I believe it will fall (or has already
fallen) into the same colonialist, colonising mindset that all powers
have historically had, whether state or civil; and will live out the
same history – of oppression, not liberation, and certainly not
emancipation.

In short, while it is of course important to not be self-deprecating
– and especially in a paper of this scope - I therefore find it
unfortunately self-centred, self-congratulatory, and arrogant; and
somewhat complacent.  There is little or no reflection in it, let
alone self-critical reflection.  In my view, these are not the
characteristics that a WSF strategy paper should have, and that to
the contrary, the paper – and hopefully also the WSF - needs to be
more humble in its approach to the world and to the many ways that it
is unfolding.

The WSF, in fact, has a lot to learn in this area from the
Zapatistas, among other indigenous peoples – and it would in fact
make it a lot of sense if the IC were to take this opportunity of a
review of its strategy to not just learn from the Zapatistas but to
review and revise its policy and stance that has kept them out of the
Forum process – and actively invite them to join.  It is not that the
IC itself is arrogant; to the contrary, I believe that it, like the
WSF and as a part of it, is an extraordinary experiment in building
another praxis.  But - in my view - it is precisely the underlying
current that is the power (and arrogance) of civility that tends to
lead it, and those who lead the “AGM”, to behave, sometimes
subconsciously, as if they are the ones whose duty and role it is to
determine the future of the world.  In short, and even though the
paper portrays the AGM as being in contention with the system, I see
the underlying drive in this paper is to be in power, and one of
power - over others, and in this case, other movements.  Will the IC
be willing to take a deep look at this, at this time ?  And to decide
whether this is the politics it wants to practice ?

8.     I also find the assertion that the paper makes on the very
first page that the entire, global (so-called) AGM is today all about
“fundamental rights”, to be not only very questionable but also
worrying.  First, it again shoehorns everyone into the same box, and
second, this implicitly means that the AGM is, far from being anti-
systemic (let alone autonomist), pro-systemic and statist (because in
today’s world, there are no such rights without the state).  Is this
how the AGM, and the IC, sees itself ?  More to the point, is this
how those who are the core strategists within the WSF see the WSF and
“the AGM”, and the politics of social change ?

9.     Finally in this list of concerns, in my understanding this
stance is only reinforced in the section on p 4 on where the paper
presents what it calls six “opportunities of the global crisis”.  In
some ways, this section is the heart of the paper, and of the
strategic perspective it offers.  I am here not going to into the
content of the formulations (except to say that these are also kept
disappointingly - and somewhat curiously for a strategy paper -
brief, and in rather muffled language).  What I would prefer to focus
on, and ask you to focus on, is the politics of the proposals (as far
as I can make this out !).  In short, I find the proposals – for how
to take advantage of the present crises and to change the world - to
be deeply resonant of an earlier, state-centric view of the world;
and to be almost unaware of the new, more autonomist, localist,
social relations that are already so strongly emerging among social
movements, let alone putting forward any new proposals.  It almost
baffles me (and certainly worries me) to think that something like
the WSF might even consider taking such positions and practising such
politics.  I certainly hope that we can here discuss this in depth,
and that the IC will also do so.

The paper also resonantly declares and proposes that “The alter-
globalist movement must be directed to embrace and strengthen these
opportunities.”  (Emphasis mine.)  … Is this really a core strategic
position and approach that the IC of the WSF would be willing to
endorse ?  But more to the point, do I hear echoes of the Group of
Nineteen’s ‘Porto Alegre Manifesto’ in February 2005 ?3  And echoes
also of the Bamako Appeal, in January 2007 ?4  (It’s another two
years on from then, and so maybe it’s that time again…)  I urge you
to take a look at the paper in this perspective, and towards this,
also at some of the essays in a reader on all this – on the constant
attempt within the Forum to give to it a singular political programme
- that some us prepared back in 2007.5 And it is within this
perspective that I think we might also want to look at how and why
more or less the same paper has been presented at two consecutive
meetings of the IC, as mentioned above.

But the big differences this time are one, whereas the Porto Alegre
Manifesto and the Bamako Appeal came sort of from outside, this one
is coming up from the inside.

And that two, that this paper is recommending that the IC should see
it as its duty and responsibility not only to adopt such a programme
but also to direct – and thereby presumably, seek to lead - the whole
of the so-called AGM.

Is this, and should this be, what the WSF is about ?

10.   In sum, my overall and underlying feeling is that the paper is
far too much written to equip the WSF to move into and/or retain a
position of power, rather than being about change as such, let alone
emancipatory change; and I believe and suggest that this is a
fundamentally flawed strategy that the IC should not adopt.

11.   To end on a more humorous note : The paper also says “The alter-
globalist movement will be faced with attempts at radical reform…”.
Like this one ?!   Beware, beware !

Jai Sen

Notes
___________________

1 The paper circulated at the Belém IC meeting in January 2009 was
titled ‘The Dangers and Opportunities of the Global Crisis’, dated
January 15 2009, and labelled as a “Contribution to the Strategy
Commission of the World Social Forum’s International Council”.
2 Jai Sen, November 2007 – ‘The power of civility’, in Mikael Löfgren
& Håkan Thörn, eds, 2007 – ‘Global Civil Society – More Or Less
Democracy?’, special issue of Development Dialogue, no 49, pp 51-68;
available for download on www.dhf.uu.se.
3  Group of Nineteen, February 2005 – ‘Porto Alegre Manifesto’, dated
February 20 2005.  Accessed 041006 @ http://www.zmag.org/sustainers/
content/2005-02/20group_of_nineteen.cfm.
4 Forum for Another Mali, World Forum for Alternatives (France),
Third World Forum Forum (Senegal), ENDA (Senegal), and ors, January
2006 - ‘The Bamako Appeal’, January 18 2006.  Text as circulated by
Samir Amin, President of the World Forum for Alternatives.  Available
for signing @ http://thirdworldforum.net/fren/index.htm, and
otherwise @ http://www.openspaceforum.net/twiki/tiki-read_article.php?
articleId=66, http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/bamako.html, http://
deletetheborder.org/node/698.
5 Jai Sen and Madhuresh Kumar, compilers, with Patrick Bond and Peter
Waterman, January 2007 – A Political Programme for the World Social
Forum?  Democracy, Substance, and Debate in the Bamako Appeal and the
Global Justice Movements - A Reader.  Published by CACIM (Critical
Action : Centre in Movement), New Delhi, India, and University of
KwaZulu-Natal Centre for Civil Society (CCS), Durban, South Africa.
Soft copy available @ www.cacim.net and www.nu.ac.za/ccs.
    In particular, I strongly recommend that you read the essay by
Kolya Abramsky in this reader, titled ‘The Bamako Appeal and The
Zapatista 6th Declaration – Between Creating New Worlds and
Reorganizing the Existing One’, which is a brilliant comparative
discussion of two very different approaches to change.  This essay is
now also available in a developed form as CE1 in the Critical
Engagement series from CACIM and available in soft copy at
www.cacim.net; retitled ‘The Bamako Appeal and the Zapatista 6th
Declaration - From Reorganizing the Existing World to Creating New
Ones’.

jai.sen at cacim.net
CACIM, A-3 Defence Colony, New Delhi 110 024, India
www.cacim.net
Ph : +91-11-4155 1521, +91-98189 11325 - PLEASE NOTE NEW SECOND NUMBER !

Check out the OpenSpaceForum @ www.openspaceforum.net

Subscribe to WSFDiscuss, an open and unmoderated forum on the World
Social Forum and on related social and political movements and
issues. Simply send an empty email to worldsocialforum-discuss-
subscribe at openspaceforum.net

P  Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

Note : In case you are having problems opening any Word attachments I
have sent you here, you could try one of the following : (a) Put your
cursor on the icon, do a right click, see ‘Open With’, and open with
Word…; or (b), try saving the document onto your desktop or hard
disc, and then opening it.  With apologies in advance if this advice
seems to question your technological literacy…