[WSF-Discuss] Some Hard Questions About The WSF ‘Facing The Crisis’ / Algunas Preguntas Acerca De La Dura FSM "Frente A La Crisis" / Quelques Questions Difficiles À Propos Du FSM “Face À La Crise”

Jai Sen jai.sen at cacim.net
Tue May 5 02:47:12 CDT 2009

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Dear Hélio, greetings !

             I am writing just to request you to please forward the
following message / note to members of the International Council.

             It’s in relation to one of the items on the IC’s agenda
starting tomorrow.  I would like to think that at least some of the
members may wish to take a look at this, especially those who do not
subscribe to WSFDiscuss.

             This is a slightly revised version of a note I posted on
WSFDiscuss last week in three languages, now combined into one message.

             Thanks !

             Jai

Traducciones en español y en francés por debajo de / Les traductions
en espagnol et en français ci-dessous

Note : This message was first posted on WSFDiscuss on Wednesday,
April 29, 2009 / Nota: Este mensaje fue publicado en WSFDiscuss el
miércoles, 29 de abril, 2009 / Note: Ce message a été posté sur
WSFDiscuss le mercredi 29 avril 2009

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 / this slightly modified version Tuesday,
May 5, 2009

SOME HARD QUESTIONS ABOUT THE WSF ‘FACING THE CRISIS’

Friends,

Here are some questions and comments on an important document that
was posted on the WSFDiscuss listserve a few days ago, ‘Facing The
Crisis’ – which has been prepared by the Strategy Commission of the
International Council – and is coming up for debate at the upcoming
WSF International Council meeting in Morocco from May 6-9 2009, on
what the WSF’s perspective and strategy should be within the current
world situation.

I have prepared these comments as a contribution to the debate.

Although a relatively small paper (six pages), it has a very major
ambition, and moreoever it has been put forward before the Council of
what I believe is an important world body and process; and so I
believe we must all take it at face value and speak to it and what
lies behind it, and raise any concerns we have about it.  I attempt
to do this in the following comments and questions, which I have
prepared somewhat hurriedly just in order to make these issues
public, and where I make no pretence that this is a comprehensive
discussion of the paper.

Finally, let me make clear that there are my personal views, and not
of the organisation I work with, where we have not had time to
discuss all this as yet :

1.     At first sight and reading, this is obviously a serious
document that should be critically discussed within the WSF (and not
only at and in the International Council), and also in and among
movements and organisations themselves.  Most particularly, because
it poses questions and issues at a ‘global’ level – not only
geographically but also conceptually and systemically.

2.     It’s also very good to see and know that the IC is
commissioning such papers and then discussing them, because it lends
a very necessary organised seriousness to its work, including of
deliberating on general issues such as to how take forward the WSF as
a process and also on more particular ones, such as where to hold the
next world meeting of this world process.

3.     Having said this, I want to make some comments, first about
process and then about content.  I have to first say that I
personally find the language of the paper dense, ideologically
muffled, and difficult to penetrate; and perhaps as a result, I am
not always sure that I know what it is saying or wants to say, or
what its positions are.  My first thought was that maybe the problem
was that it has no defined author - that it was perhaps an analysis
written by a committee !  Or that it perhaps had lost something in
translation, somewhere.  But on some digging, I have realised that
this is in fact only a slightly revised (and retitled) draft of a
paper that was also circulated and verbally presented at the IC
meeting in Belém this past January, with that version authored by
Gustave Massiah, as President of CRID (Centre de Recherche et
d'Information pour le Développment), in France.1  This fact however
raises 2-3 questions : One, if this paper was already presented to
and discussed at the IC meeting in Belém, why is it being presented
again, and in a (only slightly) revised form ?  On the one hand, is
it really for discussion, or is it actually for (quick) adoption ?
(Which is rather different, especially when it comes from something
called a “Strategy Commission”.  And I come back to this below.)  And
on the other, why is presenting this paper for a second time being
privileged over, say, a continued reflection on what happened at
Belém – which I have seen some IC members vehemently objecting to, on
a list ?  How does such privilege get decided ?  Who decides this ?

4.     Two, while not mentioning on the paper itself that it has been
put forward by the IC’s Strategy Commission may just be an oversight,
I find the lack of acknowledgement that this paper is only a slightly
re-worked version of one by an individual a little problematic; and
if there is anyone reading this posting who belongs to the Strategy
Commission and/or the WSF Secretariat, I would like to strongly
request that these shortcomings be addressed, and before the IC
meeting, not after.  Personally, I find this opacity, and this
anonymity, a little worrying, if - among other things – it is indeed
a document that some people want something like the International
Council of the World Social Forum to debate – and (it has to be
assumed) adopt.  In something like the WSF process, we need to know
clearly who is putting forward strategies, and why.  This should be
transparent.  Even the names of the members of the Strategy
Commission that authored this should be either mentioned or a link
given to where we can find this.  In short, and as some others and I
have often called for before this, the WSF needs to have a far more
consistently open, and less hidden and anonymous, process.  And if it
is only oversight that has led to this in this case, then it should
try to become less casual and sloppy, and/or private, from now on.
It needs to become much more aware of its significance in the world,
and of the importance of public accountability.  It is not a private
body.

I end these process points by underlining that even though this might
have been the ideal approach for me to take, I have not had the time
since seeing this revised paper to do the background research that
could answer these questions, and so I ask them openly here because I
think it is better to ask these questions – even if there are simple
answers – than not ask them.

Okay; now to move to some of the content :

5.     The characterisation of what is in this paper termed the
“alter-globalisation movement” as (a) one (ie in the singular) and
therefore monolithic, and (b) uniformly “progressive” is, to say the
least, forced, not to speak of false.  (One place among many where
this uniformity is asserted is in the opening line, where the
document says that The alter-globalisation movement is ‘anti-
systemic’ – thereby implying that It (with a capital I) is one and
that It stands together in being Against The System.)  It is surely
time to, first, come to terms with the fact that even within what
might be called ‘civil’ movements, there are many different
tendencies, with many internal contradictions, and that they cannot
and should not be all lumped together – even in a broad-brush
sketch.  If anything, it is precisely the diversity and complexity,
and at another level the weak links that exist between the different
tendencies, that is the beauty and strength of (world) movement
today.  On the other hand, it is also the case that when we dig a
little past the surface class, race, and gender similarities and
affinities, there are many profound contradictions between the
positions taken by individual constituents of this so-called
‘movement’.  This is so readily evident in the IC itself, where many
who are there have mixed (and sometimes ambiguous) views on even the
key issue that the WSF says it wants to address, neoliberal
globalisation. This is all the more important since in this paper
(and in others of this kind) It / this singular movement is sought to
be characterised as the (singular) agent of (revolutionary) change.
This is a false characterisation, and a false and therefore dangerous
foundation for analysis and strategy.  In short, this aspect of the
paper – and in way, the whole of it rests on this - needs major
revision.

6.     The paper is all about the so-called AGM (and not about the
WSF), and/but there is no discussion at all in the paper of the place
within the AGM of the WSF (and of the IC), and of their
interrelations, other than asserting that the IC “must engage with
these developments [that the paper deals with] with a great deal of
seriousness and innovativeness”.  In other words, it seems to sort of
assume (but not stated) that the WSF is a part of the AGM – and
implicitly, since it mentions no other, only of the AGM, and of no
other larger, wider movement.  I would like to suggest that this
question of location and relation is a key part of any strategic
perspective that the IC might like to develop – and also this
question of whether the WSF only belongs to the so-called AGM, and
whether it should only belong to this.  (And for that matter, since
the WSF’s Charter resonantly says that the WSF and the IC are not
representative, then whether the IC can even decide on something like
this.)  These are surely key questions for reflection within the IC.

7.     The lack of discussion of the (class, caste, race, and gender)
relations of the AGM (and implicitly, as above, of the WSF) with
other contemporary global socio-political actors and their various
ways of thinking is glaring – and to my mind, staggering, especially
given that the Belém Forum (with its much-vaunted focus on indigenous
peoples) has just taken place; such as indigenous peoples’ movements
in different parts of the world, movements of faith (and in
particular, the Islamic movements that are also so important today),
and movements among and of unrepresented nations and peoples; among
others.  To the opposite, the attitude of the paper towards such
movements – who have their own conceptualisations and cosmologies of
social justice – ranges between being arrogant and dismissive to
paternalistic.  (For instance, it suggests rather vaguely and
dismissively on p 3 that (all) “various other movements” are
“fundamentalist”.)  Though it does not go that far, by focussing only
on itself / the AGM, the paper comes dangerously close to an elitist
and separatist position.  I have elsewhere argued that this is the
role that “civil society” has historically always played;2 it is
worrying to sense that despite the widening of the composition of the
IC in recent years to include mass movements, this is once again
being proposed as its position and approach.  This is perhaps a
result of how theory and strategy is being formulated within the IC –
in the old way, by theory givers.

Given that the IC includes among its members organisations such as
the WCC (the World Council of Churches), and also individuals such as
François Houtart, as well as so many mass movements (though sadly, so
far only one indigenous peoples’ movement), and given their
extraordinary individual and organisational histories in this area
over so many decades now, I sincerely hope that this kind of position
will not get past the IC without very serious challenge and debate.
But if this movement, ie the one that the paper argues that the IC
should exclusively concern itself with and see itself as being a part
of (and even accepting the singularisation, for the moment), cannot
get past this attitude, I believe it will fall (or has already
fallen) into the same colonialist, colonising mindset that all powers
have historically had, whether state or civil; and will live out the
same history – of oppression, not liberation, and certainly not
emancipation.

In short, while it is of course important to not be self-deprecating
– and especially in a paper of this scope - I therefore find it
unfortunately self-centred, self-congratulatory, and arrogant; and
somewhat complacent.  There is little or no reflection in it, let
alone self-critical reflection.  In my view, these are not the
characteristics that a WSF strategy paper should have, and that to
the contrary, the paper – and hopefully also the WSF - needs to be
more humble in its approach to the world and to the many ways that it
is unfolding.

The WSF, in fact, has a lot to learn from the Zapatistas, among other
indigenous peoples – and it would in fact make it a lot of sense if
the IC were to take this opportunity of a review of its strategy to
not just learn from the Zapatistas but to review and revise its
policy and stance that has kept them out of the Forum process – and
actively invite them to join.  It is not that the IC itself is
arrogant; to the contrary, I believe that it, like the WSF and as a
part of it, is an extraordinary experiment in building another
praxis.  But - in my view - it is precisely the underlying current
that is the power (and arrogance) of civility that tends to lead it,
and those who lead the “AGM”, to behave, sometimes subconsciously, as
if they are the ones whose duty and role it is to determine the
future of the world.  In short, and even though the paper portrays
the AGM as being in contention with the system, I see the underlying
drive in this paper is to be in power, and one of power - over
others, and in this case, other movements.  Will the IC be willing to
take a deep look at this, at this time ?  And to decide whether this
is the politics it wants to practice ?

8.     I also find the assertion that the paper makes on the very
first page that the entire, global (so-called) AGM is today all about
“fundamental rights”, to be not only very questionable but also
worrying.  First, it again shoehorns everyone into the same box, and
second, this implicitly means that the AGM is, far from being anti-
systemic (let alone autonomist), pro-systemic and statist (because in
today’s world, there are no such rights without the state).  Is this
how the AGM, and the IC, sees itself ?  More to the point, is this
how those who are the core strategists within the WSF see the WSF and
“the AGM”, and the politics of social change ?

9.     Finally in this list of concerns, in my understanding this
stance is only reinforced in the section on p 4 on where the paper
presents what it calls six “opportunities of the global crisis”.  In
some ways, this section is the heart of the paper, and of the
strategic perspective it offers.  I am here not going to into the
content of the formulations (except to say that these are also kept
disappointingly - and somewhat curiously for a strategy paper -
brief, and in rather muffled language).  What I would prefer to focus
on, and ask you to focus on, is the politics of the proposals (as far
as I can make this out !).  In short, I find the proposals – for how
to take advantage of the present crises and to change the world - to
be deeply resonant of an earlier, state-centric view of the world;
and to be almost unaware of the new, more autonomist, localist,
social relations that are already so strongly emerging among social
movements, let alone putting forward any new proposals.  It almost
baffles me (and certainly worries me) to think that something like
the WSF might even consider taking such positions and practising such
politics.  I certainly hope that we can here discuss this in depth,
and that the IC will also do so.

The paper also resonantly declares and proposes that “The alter-
globalist movement must be directed to embrace and strengthen these
opportunities.”  (Emphasis mine.)  … Is this really a core strategic
position and approach that the IC of the WSF would be willing to
endorse ?  But more to the point, do I hear echoes of the Group of
Nineteen’s ‘Porto Alegre Manifesto’ in February 2005 ?3  And echoes
also of the Bamako Appeal, in January 2007 ?4  (It’s another two
years on from then, and so maybe it’s that time again…)  I urge you
to take a look at the paper in this perspective, and towards this,
also at some of the essays in a reader on all this – on the constant
attempt within the Forum to give to it a singular political programme
- that some us prepared back in 2007.5 And it is within this
perspective that I think we might also want to look at how and why
more or less the same paper has been presented at two consecutive
meetings of the IC, as mentioned above.

But the big differences this time are one, whereas the Porto Alegre
Manifesto and the Bamako Appeal came sort of from outside, this one
is coming up from the inside.

And that two, that this paper is recommending that the IC should see
it as its duty and responsibility not only to adopt such a programme
but also to direct – and thereby presumably, seek to lead - the whole
of the so-called AGM.

Is this, and should this be, what the WSF is about ?

10.   In sum, my overall and underlying feeling is that the paper is
far too much written to equip the WSF to move into and/or retain a
position of power, rather than being about change as such, let alone
emancipatory change; and I believe and suggest that this is a
fundamentally flawed strategy that the IC should not adopt.

11.   To end on a more humorous note : The paper also says “The alter-
globalist movement will be faced with attempts at radical reform…”.
Like this one ?!   Beware, beware !

Jai Sen

Notes
___________________

1 The paper circulated at the Belém IC meeting in January 2009 was
titled ‘The Dangers and Opportunities of the Global Crisis’, dated
January 15 2009, and labelled as a “Contribution to the Strategy
Commission of the World Social Forum’s International Council”.
2 Jai Sen, November 2007 – ‘The power of civility’, in Mikael Löfgren
& Håkan Thörn, eds, 2007 – ‘Global Civil Society – More Or Less
Democracy?’, special issue of Development Dialogue, no 49, pp 51-68;
available for download on www.dhf.uu.se.
3  Group of Nineteen, February 2005 – ‘Porto Alegre Manifesto’, dated
February 20 2005.  Accessed 041006 @ http://www.zmag.org/sustainers/
content/2005-02/20group_of_nineteen.cfm.
4 Forum for Another Mali, World Forum for Alternatives (France),
Third World Forum Forum (Senegal), ENDA (Senegal), and ors, January
2006 - ‘The Bamako Appeal’, January 18 2006.  Text as circulated by
Samir Amin, President of the World Forum for Alternatives.  Available
for signing @ http://thirdworldforum.net/fren/index.htm, and
otherwise @ http://www.openspaceforum.net/twiki/tiki-read_article.php?
articleId=66, http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/bamako.html, http://
deletetheborder.org/node/698.
5 Jai Sen and Madhuresh Kumar, compilers, with Patrick Bond and Peter
Waterman, January 2007 – A Political Programme for the World Social
Forum?  Democracy, Substance, and Debate in the Bamako Appeal and the
Global Justice Movements - A Reader.  Published by CACIM (Critical
Action : Centre in Movement), New Delhi, India, and University of
KwaZulu-Natal Centre for Civil Society (CCS), Durban, South Africa.
Soft copy available @ www.cacim.net and www.nu.ac.za/ccs.
    In particular, I strongly recommend that you read the essay by
Kolya Abramsky in this reader, titled ‘The Bamako Appeal and The
Zapatista 6th Declaration – Between Creating New Worlds and
Reorganizing the Existing One’, which is a brilliant comparative
discussion of two very different approaches to change.  This essay is
now also available in a developed form as CE1 in the Critical
Engagement series from CACIM and available in soft copy at
www.cacim.net; retitled ‘The Bamako Appeal and the Zapatista 6th
Declaration - From Reorganizing the Existing World to Creating New
Ones’.

Nota: Este mensaje fue publicado en WSFDiscuss el miércoles, 29 de
abril, 2009

(Traducido del original en Inglés la publicación por parte de Google,
les pido disculpas por errores de traducción!)

ALGUNAS PREGUNTAS ACERCA DE LA DURA FSM "FRENTE A LA CRISIS"

Amigos

Aquí hay algunas preguntas y comentarios sobre un documento
importante que se envió en la lista de WSFDiscuss hace unos días,
"frente a la crisis» - que ha sido preparado por la Estrategia de la
Comisión Internacional del Consejo - y está llegando a debate en la
próxima reunión del Consejo Internacional del FSM en Marruecos 6o-9a
a partir de mayo de 2009, en lo que la perspectiva del FSM y la
estrategia debe estar dentro de la situación actual del mundo.

He preparado estos comentarios como una contribución al debate.

Aunque un papel relativamente pequeño (seis páginas), tiene una
ambición muy importante, y moreoever se ha presentado ante el Consejo
de lo que creo que es un importante órgano mundial y el proceso, y lo
que creo que todos debemos tener en la cara valor y hablar con él y
lo que hay detrás, y plantear las preocupaciones que tenemos sobre
él. Yo intento hacerlo en los siguientes comentarios y preguntas, que
he preparado un poco de prisa sólo con el fin de hacer pública estas
cuestiones, y que debo hacer para que no pretende que se trata de un
amplio debate sobre el papel.

Por último, permítanme dejar claro que no son mis opiniones
personales, y no de la organización con la que trabajo, donde no
hemos tenido tiempo para debatir todo esto hasta ahora:

1. A primera vista y la lectura, se trata evidentemente de un
documento serio que debe ser crítico de debate en el seno del FSM (y
no sólo en y en el Consejo Internacional), y también en y entre las
propias organizaciones y movimientos. En particular, porque plantea
preguntas y cuestiones en un "global" nivel - no sólo geográficamente
sino también conceptual y sistémica.

2. También es bueno ver y saber que el CI es encargar tales
documentos y, a continuación, discutirlas, ya que presta una muy
necesaria seriedad organizado a su labor, incluida la de deliberar
sobre cuestiones generales tales como la forma en llevar adelante el
FSM como un proceso y también en particular, más, como cuando a
celebrar la próxima reunión mundial de este proceso mundial.

3. Dicho esto, quiero hacer algunos comentarios, en primer lugar
sobre el proceso y, a continuación, sobre el contenido. Tengo que
decir que yo personalmente considero el idioma del documento denso,
ideológicamente sordo, y difícil de penetrar, y quizá como resultado,
no estoy seguro de que siempre sé lo que dice o quiere decir, o lo
que sus posiciones. Mi primer pensamiento fue que tal vez el problema
es que no tiene definido autor - que es tal vez un análisis escrito
por un comité! O que tal vez ha perdido algo en la traducción, en
algún lugar. Pero en la excavación de algunos, me han dado cuenta de
que esta es, de hecho, sólo un poco revisada (y retitulado) de
proyecto de un documento en el que también se distribuyó y presentó
verbalmente en la reunión del CI en Belém en enero pasado, con el
autor de esa versión por Gustave Massiah, como presidente del CRID
(Centre de Recherche et d'Information pour le Developpment), en
France.[1] Este hecho sin embargo plantea 2da-3ra preguntas: Uno, si
este documento ya fue presentado y discutido en la reunión del CI en
Belém, ¿por qué es que se presenta de nuevo, y en una (muy poco)
forma revisada? Por un lado, ¿es realmente para el debate, o se trata
realmente de (rápida) la adopción? (Que es bastante diferente,
especialmente cuando se trata de algo llamado "Estrategia de la
Comisión". Y volver a esto más adelante.) Y por el otro, ¿por qué es
la presentación de este documento por segunda vez el privilegio de
ser más, digamos, una continuación reflexión sobre lo que sucedió en
Belém - He visto que algunos miembros del CI con vehemencia a
oponerse, en una lista? ¿Cómo se decidió obtener tal privilegio?
¿Quién decide esto?

4. Dos, si bien no se citan en el papel propio que ha sido presentada
por la Comisión de Estrategia de la IC puede ser un descuido, creo
que la falta de reconocimiento de que este documento es sólo una
ligera re-versión de uno trabajado por una persona un poco
problemático y, si hay alguien leyendo este anuncio, que pertenece a
la estrategia de la Comisión y / o la Secretaría del FSM, quiero
pedir encarecidamente que abordar estas deficiencias, y antes de la
reunión del CI, no después. Personalmente, encuentro esta opacidad, y
este anonimato, un poco preocupante, si es - entre otras cosas - de
hecho es un documento en el que algunas personas quieren algo así
como el Consejo Internacional del Foro Social Mundial a debate - y
(tiene que ser asumido ) adoptar. En algo así como el proceso FSM,
tenemos que saber claramente que es la presentación de estrategias, y
por qué. Este debe ser transparente. Incluso los nombres de los
miembros de la estrategia que el autor de esta Comisión deberán ser
mencionados o un enlace a donde podemos encontrar este. En resumen, y
como algunos otros y yo hemos pedido a menudo antes de esto, el FSM
tiene que tener una medida más coherente abierto, y menos oculto y
anónimo, proceso. Y si es sólo de supervisión que ha llevado a esto
en este caso, debería tratar de ser menos casual y desordenado, y / o
privados, a partir de ahora. Tiene que ser mucho más conscientes de
su importancia en el mundo, y de la importancia de la rendición
pública de cuentas. No es un organismo privado.

Quiero terminar estos procesos por los puntos que subraya que, aunque
esto podría haber sido el enfoque ideal para mí, no he tenido tiempo
desde que este documento revisado para hacer el fondo de
investigación que podrían responder a estas preguntas, y así les pido
abiertamente aquí porque creo que es mejor pedir a estas preguntas -
incluso si no hay respuestas sencillas - que no les pregunte.

Bien, ahora para pasar a algunos de los contenidos:

5. La caracterización de lo que es en el presente documento
denominado "movimiento alter-globalización" como (a) una (es decir,
en singular) y, por tanto, monolítica, y (b) de manera uniforme
"progresista" es, por decir lo menos, forzada, no hablar de los
falsos. (Un lugar entre los muchos que esta uniformidad se afirma en
la apertura de la línea, cuando el documento dice que el movimiento
alter-globalización es «anti-sistémica" - Es lo que implica que (con
un capital I) es una y que está junto está en contra del sistema.) Ya
es hora de que, en primer lugar, llegar a términos con el hecho de
que incluso dentro de lo que podría llamarse "civil" movimientos, hay
muchas diferentes tendencias, con muchas contradicciones internas, y
que no pueden y deben no se agrupan todos - incluso en un esquema de
amplia cepillo. En todo caso, es precisamente la diversidad y
complejidad, a otro nivel y los débiles vínculos que existen entre
las diferentes tendencias, que es la belleza y la fuerza de (mundo)
el movimiento de hoy. Por otro lado, también es cierto que cuando
cavar un poco más allá de la superficie de la clase, la raza, el
género y las similitudes y afinidades, hay muchas contradicciones
entre las posiciones adoptadas por los distintos componentes de este
llamado "movimiento". Esto es tan evidente en el CI, donde muchos de
los que se han mezclado (ya veces ambiguo), incluso puntos de vista
sobre la cuestión fundamental que el FSM dice que quiere abordar, la
globalización neoliberal. Esto es aún más importante, ya que en este
documento (y en otros de este tipo) Es / este singular movimiento se
solicita que se caracterizan por la (singular) de agente
(revolucionaria) los cambios. Esta es una caracterización falsa, una
falsa y peligrosa y, por tanto, fundamento para el análisis y la
estrategia. En resumen, este aspecto del papel - y en forma, el
conjunto de la misma recae sobre este - las principales necesidades
de revisión.

6. El documento se trata de la denominada MAG (y no de la FSM), y /
pero no hay ninguna discusión en absoluto en el papel del lugar
dentro de la Asamblea General de la FSM (y de la IC), y de sus
interrelaciones , excepto la afirmación de que el CI "debe
comprometerse con estos acontecimientos [que el documento se refiere
a] con mucha seriedad y la innovación". En otras palabras, parece
tipo de asumir (aunque no se indique lo contrario) que el FSM es una
parte de la MAG - e implícitamente, ya que menciona a ningún otro,
sino sólo la de la MAG, y de ningún otro más grande, más amplia
circulación. Me gustaría sugerir que esta cuestión de la ubicación y
la relación es una parte clave de cualquier perspectiva estratégica
de que el IC podría desarrollar - y también la cuestión de si el FSM
sólo pertenece a la denominada Asamblea General, y si sólo pertenecen
a esta. (Y de hecho, desde la Carta del FSM resonantly dice que el
FSM y el CI no son representativos y, a continuación, si el CI puede
decidir sobre algo como esto.) Estas son las preguntas clave sin duda
para la reflexión dentro de la IC.

7. La falta de debate de la (clase, casta, raza y sexo) las
relaciones de la Asamblea General (e implícitamente, que el anterior,
de la FSM) con otros contemporáneos mundial actores socio-políticos y
sus diversas formas de pensamiento es evidente - y mi opinión,
sorprendente, sobre todo teniendo en cuenta que el Foro de Belém (con
su tan cacareado centrarse en los pueblos indígenas) acaba de tener
lugar, como los pueblos indígenas en los movimientos de diferentes
partes del mundo, los movimientos de la fe (y, en particular, la ley
islámica movimientos que son también tan importantes hoy en día), y
entre los movimientos y de las naciones y los pueblos no
representados, entre otros. Para el contrario, la actitud hacia el
papel de esos movimientos - que tienen sus propias
conceptualizaciones y cosmologías de la justicia social - que oscila
entre el arrogante y despectiva a paternalista. (Por ejemplo, se
sugiere de manera bastante imprecisa y despectivamente a 3 que p
(todo) "otros movimientos" son "fundamentalistas"). Aunque no va tan
lejos, centrándose únicamente en sí mismo / la MAG, el documento
llega peligrosamente cerca a una posición elitista y separatista.
Tengo otra parte sostuvo que este es el papel que la "sociedad civil"
que históricamente ha desempeñado siempre, [2] es preocupante
sensación de que a pesar de la ampliación de la composición de la IC
en los últimos años para incluir a movimientos de masas, esto es, una
vez más, se propone como su posición y enfoque. Esta es quizá una
consecuencia de cómo la teoría y la estrategia se está elaborando en
el seno del CI - en la forma antigua, por la teoría dadores.

Dado que la IC incluye entre sus miembros a organizaciones como el
CMI (Consejo Mundial de Iglesias), y también personas, como François
Houtart, así como muchos movimientos de masas (aunque,
lamentablemente, hasta ahora sólo uno de los pueblos indígenas
circulación), y dada su extraordinaria historias individuales y de
organización en este ámbito a lo largo de tantos decenios, espero
sinceramente que este tipo de posición no pasar el CI sin problema
muy grave y el debate. Pero si este movimiento, es decir, el uno que
el documento sostiene que el CI debería ocuparse exclusivamente de sí
mismo y ver como una parte de (e incluso aceptar la singularisation,
por el momento), no puede superar esta actitud, creo que se caída (o
ya ha caído) en el mismo colonialista, colonizador de pensar que
todas las competencias históricamente han tenido, ya sea estatal o
civil, y vivir la misma historia - de la opresión, no de liberación,
y ciertamente no la emancipación.

En resumen, si bien es importante, por supuesto, no se auto-
deprecating - y, sobre todo, en un documento de este tipo - por lo
tanto, me parece, lamentablemente, egocéntrico, libre de
felicitación, y arrogante, y poco complaciente. Hay poca o ninguna
reflexión en el que, por no hablar de auto-reflexión crítica. En mi
opinión, éstas no son las características que un documento de
estrategia FSM deberían tener, y que por el contrario, el documento -
y esperemos que también el FSM - debe ser más humilde en su enfoque
para el mundo y para las muchas maneras en que se está desarrollando.

El Foro Social Mundial, de hecho, tiene mucho que aprender de los
zapatistas, entre otros pueblos indígenas - y que en realidad hacen
mucho sentido si el CI se aprovechar esta oportunidad de una revisión
de su estrategia para no sólo aprender de los zapatistas, sino de
examinar y revisar su política y su postura que ha mantenido fuera
del proceso del Foro - activamente y les invite a participar. No es
que el CI es arrogante, al contrario, creo que, al igual que el Foro
Social Mundial y como parte de ella, es una extraordinaria
experiencia en la construcción de otra práctica. Pero - en mi opinión
- es precisamente la corriente subyacente que es el poder (y
arrogancia) de civilidad que tiende a conducir, y los que conducen la
"Asamblea General", a comportarse, a veces inconscientemente, como si
ellos son los que deber y función sea la de determinar el futuro del
mundo. En resumen, y aunque el documento retrata la Asamblea General
como en la contención con el sistema, veo la unidad subyacente en
este trabajo es estar en el poder, y uno de poder - en detrimento de
otras y en este caso, otros movimientos. El CI se estaría dispuesto a
tener un profundo vistazo a esto, en este momento? Y decidir si esta
es la política que quiere la práctica?

8. También creo que la afirmación de que el documento se hacen en la
primera página que todo el mundial (el llamado) es hoy en día todos
los MAG sobre "derechos fundamentales", a ser no sólo muy discutible,
pero también preocupante. En primer lugar, de nuevo shoehorns todos
en el mismo cuadro y, en segundo lugar, esto implícitamente significa
que la Asamblea General, es decir, lejos de ser anti-sistémica (y
mucho menos autonomista), pro-estatistas y sistémico (porque en el
mundo de hoy, no hay tales derechos, sin el Estado). ¿Es así como la
MAG, y la IC, se ve a sí mismo? Más al punto, esta es la forma en que
esos que son los principales estrategas de la FSM y ver el FSM "la
Asamblea General", y la política de cambio social?

9. Por último en esta lista de preocupaciones, a mi entender esta
postura sólo se reforzó en la sección de P 4 en donde el trabajo se
presenta lo que llama seis "oportunidades de la crisis mundial". En
cierto modo, esta sección es el corazón del documento, y de la
perspectiva estratégica que ofrece. Estoy aquí no va a en el
contenido de las formulaciones (salvo para decir que estos también se
mantienen decepcionante - y algo curioso para un documento de
estrategia - breve, y no en el idioma sordo). Lo que prefieren
centrarse en, y le pedimos que se centrará en, es la política de las
propuestas (por lo que puedo hacer esto!). En resumen, creo que las
propuestas - para saber cómo aprovechar las ventajas de la actual
crisis y para cambiar el mundo - para estar profundamente resonante
de una anterior, el estado-céntrica del mundo, y casi se desconoce el
nuevo, más autonomista , localista, las relaciones sociales de modo
que ya están emergiendo con fuerza entre los movimientos sociales,
por no hablar de la presentación de nuevas propuestas. Casi me
desconcierta (y ciertamente me preocupa) a pensar que algo como el
FSM podría incluso considerar la posibilidad de adoptar esas
posiciones y la práctica de dicha política. Ciertamente espero que
podamos hablar de ello aquí en profundidad, y que el CI también lo hará.

El documento también declara resonantly y propone que "El movimiento
alter-mundialista debe estar encaminada a adoptar y fortalecer esas
oportunidades." (El subrayado es mío). ... ¿Es esto realmente un
núcleo posición estratégica y el enfoque que el CI del FSM estaría
dispuesto a aprobar? Pero más aún, debo escuchar los ecos del Grupo
de los Diecinueve de 'Manifiesto de Porto Alegre ", en febrero de
2005? [3] Y se hace eco también de la Apelación de Bamako, en enero
de 2007? [4] (Es otro de dos años a partir de entonces , por lo que
quizás sea hora de nuevo ...) Les insto a que eche un vistazo en el
papel en esta perspectiva, y con este, también en algunos de los
ensayos en un lector de todo esto - en el intento constante en el
Foro de darle un singular programa político - de que algunos nos
preparó en 2007,[5] Y es dentro de esta perspectiva que creo que
también puede ver cómo y por qué más o menos el mismo documento ha
sido presentado en dos reuniones consecutivas de la IC, como se
mencionó anteriormente.

Pero la gran diferencia esta vez es uno, mientras que el Manifiesto
de Porto Alegre y el de Bamako Recurso tipo de vino de fuera, éste
viene desde el interior.

Y que dos, que este documento se recomendaba que el CI debería verlo
como su deber y la responsabilidad no sólo para adoptar un programa
de este tipo, sino también de dirigir - y, por tanto,
presumiblemente, tratará de conducir - el conjunto de la denominada MAG.

Es esto, y debe ser, lo que el FSM se acerca?

10. En resumen, mi sensación general y subyacente es que el papel
está demasiado escrito para equipar a la FSM para moverse en y / o
mantener una posición de poder, en lugar de ser el cambio como tal,
por no hablar de cambio emancipador, y creo y sugieren que se trata
de una falla por su base que la estrategia de CI no debe aprobar.

11. Para terminar con una nota más de humor: El documento también
dice: "El movimiento alter-mundialista se enfrentarán a los intentos
de reforma radical ...". Como esta? ¡Cuidado, cuidado!

Jai Sen

Notas
___________________

1 El documento distribuido en la reunión del CI Belém en enero de
2009 se tituló "Los peligros y oportunidades de la crisis mundial",
de fecha 15 de enero de 2009, y etiquetados como "Contribución a la
estrategia de la Comisión del Foro Social Mundial Consejo
Internacional" .
2 Jai Sen, de noviembre de 2007 - 'El poder de la civilidad ", en
Mikael Löfgren Håkan y Thorn, editores, 2007 - "Mundial de la
Sociedad Civil - más o menos democracia? ", Número especial de
Development Dialogue, n º 49, pp 51-68 , disponible para su descarga
en www.dhf.uu.se.
3 Grupo de los Diecinueve, de febrero de 2005 - "Manifiesto de Porto
Alegre", de fecha 20 de febrero de 2005. 041006 @ http://www.zmag.org/
sustainers/content/2005-02/20group_of_nineteen.cfm visitada.
4 Foro para Otro Malí, el Foro Mundial de Alternativas (Francia),
Third World Forum Foro (Senegal), ENDA (Senegal), y RUP, de enero de
2006 - "El Recurso de Bamako", 18 de enero de 2006. Texto que fue
distribuido por Samir Amin, Presidente del Foro Mundial de
Alternativas. Disponible para la firma @ http://thirdworldforum.net/
fren/index.htm, y de otro tipo @ http://www.openspaceforum.net/twiki/
tiki-read_article.php?articleId=66, http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org /
bamako.html, http://deletetheborder.org/node/698 .
5 Jai Sen y Madhuresh Kumar, compiladores, con Patrick Bond y Peter
Waterman, de enero de 2007 - Un Programa Político para el Foro Social
Mundial? La democracia, el fondo, y debate en el Llamamiento de
Bamako y la Justicia Global Movimientos - A Reader. Publicado por
CACIM (Crítica de Acción: Centro en Movimiento), Nueva Delhi, India,
y la Universidad de KwaZulu-Natal Centro para la Sociedad Civil
(CCS), Durban, Sudáfrica. Copia available at www.cacim.net suave y
www.nu.ac.za/ccs.
     En particular, recomendamos encarecidamente que lea el ensayo de
Kolya Abramsky en este lector, titulado ‘El Recurso de Bamako y la 6ª
Declaración zapatista - Entre Crear el Nuevo Mundo y la
reorganización de la actual’, que es un brillante debate comparativo
de dos muy diferentes enfoques dirigidos al cambio. Este ensayo
también está disponible en una forma que CE1 desarrollado en la
crítica de la acción serie CACIM y suave disponible en copia en
www.cacim.net; retitulado ‘El Recurso de Bamako y la 6ª Declaración
zapatista - De la reorganización de los existentes mundo a la
creación de nuevas Unos’.

Note: Ce message a été posté sur WSFDiscuss le mercredi 29 avril 2009

(Traduction de l'original en anglais détachement par Google, s'il
vous plaît excuse erreurs!)

QUELQUES QUESTIONS DIFFICILES À PROPOS DU FSM “FACE À LA CRISE”

Amis

Voici quelques questions et des commentaires sur un document
important qui a été affiché sur le WSFDiscuss listserve il ya
quelques jours, "face à la crise» - qui a été préparé par la
Commission Stratégie du Conseil international - et vient d'un débat
lors de la prochaine réunion du Conseil international du FSM au Maroc
à partir de 6-9 Mai 2009, sur ce que le FSM de la perspective et la
stratégie devrait être dans la situation mondiale actuelle.

J'ai préparé ces commentaires comme une contribution au débat.

Bien que relativement peu de papier (six pages), il a une très grande
ambition, moreoever et il a été présenté devant le Conseil de ce que
je crois, est une importante organisation mondiale et les processus,
et je crois que nous devons tous prendre à face valeur et de prendre
la parole et de ce qui se cache derrière, et soulever les
préoccupations que nous avons à ce sujet. Je tente de le faire dans
les commentaires et questions, j'ai préparé un peu hâtivement dans le
seul but de rendre publique ces questions, et où je ne fais aucun
prétexte que ce soit un examen complet du document.

Enfin, permettez-moi de préciser que mes opinions personnelles, et
non de l'organisation, je travaille avec, où nous n'avons pas eu le
temps de discuter de tout cela encore:

1. À première vue, et de la lecture, il s'agit d'un document sérieux
qui doit être discuté au sein de la critique du FSM (et pas seulement
à l'international et du Conseil), et aussi dans et entre les
mouvements et les organisations elles-mêmes. Plus particulièrement,
car il pose des questions et des problèmes à un 'global' de niveau -
et pas seulement géographique, mais également sur le plan conceptuel
et systémique.

2. Il est également bon de voir et de savoir que l'IC est la mise des
documents et ensuite les examiner, car il donne un très sérieux
nécessaire organisée pour ses travaux, notamment de délibérer sur des
questions générales comme à la manière de faire avancer le FSM comme
un processus et plus particulièrement sur ceux qui, comme le cas de
tenir la prochaine réunion de ce processus mondial.

3. Cela dit, je tiens à faire quelques observations, d'abord sur le
processus et ensuite sur le contenu. Je dois d'abord dire que je
trouve personnellement la langue du document dense, idéologiquement
étouffée, et difficile à pénétrer, et peut-être de ce fait, je ne
suis pas toujours sûr que je sais de quoi il est dit ou veut dire, ou
ce que son positions. Ma première pensée a été que, peut-être le
problème est qu'il n'a pas défini l'auteur - qui est peut-être une
analyse rédigée par un comité! Ou peut-être qu'il avait perdu quelque
chose dans la traduction, quelque part. Mais sur certaines
recherches, je me suis rendu compte que ce n'est en fait que
légèrement révisé (et le titre) d'un projet de document qui a été
distribué et présenté verbalement à la réunion de Belém IC au cours
de la dernière Janvier, avec cette version de l'auteur par Gustave
Massiah, en tant que Président du CRID (Centre de Recherche et
d'Information pour le développement), en France.[1] Ce fait soulève
toutefois 2-3 questions: Premièrement, si ce document a déjà été
présenté et discuté lors de la réunion de Belém IC, pourquoi est - il
est présenté de nouveau, et a (légèrement) sous une forme révisée?
D'une part, est-il réellement à la discussion, ou est-ce pour
(rapidement) l'adoption? (Quelle est assez différente, en particulier
quand il s'agit de quelque chose appelé "Stratégie de la Commission".
Et je reviens à ce ci-dessous). Et de l'autre, pourquoi la
présentation de ce document pour une deuxième fois sur le privilège
d'être, disons, une suite réflexion sur ce qui s'est passé à Belém -
que j'ai vu certains membres IC contester avec véhémence, sur une
liste? Comment obtenir ce privilège a décidé? Qui décide de cela?

4. Deux, tout en ne mentionnant pas sur le papier lui-même qu'il a
été mis en avant par la Stratégie de l'IC Commission mai juste être
une erreur, je trouve que le manque de reconnaissance que ce document
est seulement un peu re-travaillé version de l'un par un individu un
peu problématique, et si il ya quelqu'un de lecture de ce document
qui appartient à la stratégie de la Commission et / ou le Secrétariat
du FSM, je souhaiterais vivement que la demande soit adressée à ces
lacunes, et avant la réunion de CA, et non après. Personnellement, je
trouve cette opacité, et cet anonymat, un peu, si - entre autres - il
s'agit bien d'un document que certaines personnes veulent quelque
chose comme le Conseil international du Forum social mondial de débat
- et (il faut supposer) à adopter. Dans quelque chose comme le FSM,
nous avons besoin de savoir clairement qui est mise en avant des
stratégies, et pourquoi. Cela devrait être transparent. Même les noms
des membres de la Commission que la stratégie de l'auteur de ce qui
devrait être mentionné ou à un lien où l'on peut trouver cela. En
bref, et que certains autres, et je me suis souvent demandé, avant
cela, le FSM a besoin d'une ouverture toujours plus loin, et moins
cachées et anonymes, processus. Et si ce n'est que la surveillance
qui a conduit à ce dans ce cas, il devrait essayer de devenir moins
occasionnel et négligée, et / ou privés, à partir de maintenant. Il
doit devenir beaucoup plus conscients de son importance dans le
monde, et de l'importance de la responsabilité publique. Il ne s'agit
pas d'un organisme privé.

Je mettre fin à ces processus de points en soulignant que, même si
cela aurait été l'idéal pour moi de prendre, je n'ai pas eu le temps
depuis que cette version révisée du document de faire l'historique de
recherche qui pourraient répondre à ces questions, et je leur demande
ouvertement ici parce que je pense qu'il est préférable de poser ces
questions - même s'il ya des réponses simples - que de ne pas leur
demander.

Bon, maintenant de passer à une partie de son contenu:

5. La caractérisation de ce qui est dans le présent document, appelé
le "mouvement alter-mondialisation" (a) un (c'est-à-dire au
singulier) et, par conséquent, monolithique, et (b) de manière
uniforme "progressiste" est, à tout le moins, forcé, de ne pas parler
de faux. (Une place parmi de nombreux cas cette uniformité est
affirmé dans la première ligne, où le document dit que le mouvement
alter-mondialisation est «anti-systémique» - ce qui implique que
(avec un capital I) est une et qu'elle est ainsi d'être contre le
système.) Il est certainement temps pour, en premier lieu, à accepter
le fait que, même dans ce qui pourrait être appelé "civil" des
mouvements, il ya beaucoup de tendances différentes, avec de
nombreuses contradictions internes, et qu'elles ne peuvent et ne
doivent ne pas être tous regroupés - même dans un large pinceau
esquisse. Si quelque chose, c'est justement la diversité et la
complexité, et à un autre niveau, la faiblesse des liens qui existent
entre les différentes tendances, c'est la beauté et la force de
(monde), le mouvement d'aujourd'hui. D'autre part, il est également
vrai que lorsque nous creuser un peu passé de la surface de classe,
de race, de sexe et des similitudes et des affinités, il ya beaucoup
de contradictions profondes entre les positions prises par les
différents composants de ce soi-disant «mouvement». Cela est évident
si facilement dans l'IC lui-même, où de nombreuses personnes qui sont
là sont mixtes (et parfois ambigu) de vues sur la question même que
le FSM dit qu'il veut aborder, la mondialisation néolibérale. Cela
est d'autant plus important que dans le présent document (et dans
d'autres de ce genre) Il / ce singulier mouvement est demandé à être
caractérisé comme le (singulier) de l'agent (révolutionnaire) du
changement. Il s'agit d'une fausse caractérisation, et d'un faux et
donc dangereux pour la fondation d'analyse et de stratégie. En bref,
cet aspect de l'étude - et en cours, la totalité de celui-ci repose
sur ce point - les besoins de révision majeure.

6. Le papier est tout sur la soi-disant assemblée générale (et non
pas sur le FSM), et / mais il n'y a pas de discussion à tous dans le
document de la place au sein de l'MAM de la FSM (et de l'CI), et de
leurs interrelations, autre que d'affirmer que l'CI "doit s'engager à
ces évolutions [que le document traite de] avec beaucoup de sérieux
et de l'innovation". En d'autres termes, il semble qu'il sorte
d'assumer (mais non déclaré) que le FSM est une partie de l'assemblée
générale - et, implicitement, car elle ne mentionne aucun des autres,
seulement de l'MAM, et aucune autre plus grand, plus large mouvement.
Je voudrais suggérer que cette question de l'emplacement et de
rapport est un élément clé de tout point de vue stratégique que l'CI
peut-être envie de développer - et aussi la question de savoir si le
FSM ne appartient à la dite assemblée générale annuelle, et si elle
ne devrait appartiennent à cette question. (Et d'ailleurs, depuis la
Charte du FSM resonantly dit que le FSM et de l'CI ne sont pas
représentatives, alors de savoir si le CI peut même décider de
quelque chose comme ça.) Ce sont certainement des questions clés de
la réflexion au sein de l'CI.

7. L'absence de discussion de la (classe, caste, race, sexe) des
relations de l'assemblée générale (et, implicitement, comme ci-
dessus, de la WSF) avec d'autres mondial contemporain acteurs socio-
politiques et de leurs divers modes de pensée est flagrant - et à mon
esprit, stupéfiant, surtout étant donné que le Forum de Belém (avec
son fameux accent sur les peuples autochtones) a eu lieu, tels que
les peuples autochtones des mouvements dans les différentes régions
du monde, les mouvements de la foi (et en particulier, l'Islam
mouvements qui sont tellement importants, aujourd'hui), et entre les
mouvements et des nations et des peuples non représentés, entre
autres. À l'opposé, l'attitude de la communication vers ces
mouvements - qui ont leurs propres conceptualisations et cosmologies
de la justice sociale - oscille entre être arrogant et méprisant à
paternaliste. (Par exemple, elle suggère plutôt vaguement et
dismissively le p 3 que (tous) "divers autres mouvements" sont des
"fondamentalistes".) Même si elle ne va pas aussi loin, en se
concentrant uniquement sur lui-même / l'assemblée générale, le
document est dangereusement près élitiste et à une position
séparatiste. J'ai d'ailleurs fait valoir que c'est le rôle que la
"société civile" a historiquement toujours joué; 2, il est inquiétant
de sens qu'en dépit de l'élargissement de la composition de l'CI au
cours des dernières années pour inclure des mouvements de masse,
c'est une fois de plus être proposée comme sa position et son
approche. C'est peut-être une conséquence de la façon dont la théorie
et la stratégie est en cours d'élaboration au sein de l'CI - à
l'ancienne, par la théorie des donneurs.

Étant donné que l'CI comprend parmi ses membres des organisations
telles que le COE (Conseil œcuménique des Eglises), et aussi des
individus tels que François Houtart, ainsi que de nombreux mouvements
de masse (même si, malheureusement, jusqu'à présent un seul des
peuples autochtones mouvement), et compte tenu de leur extraordinaire
histoire et de l'organisation dans ce domaine depuis de si nombreuses
décennies maintenant, j'espère sincèrement que ce genre de position
ne sera pas passé sans l'CI très grave problème et le débat. Mais si
ce mouvement, c'est-à-dire celui que le document fait valoir que le
CI devrait uniquement se préoccuper de lui-même et de voir comme une
partie de (et même en acceptant la singularisation, pour le moment),
ne peut pas passer cette attitude, je crois qu'il le sera l'automne
(ou a déjà diminué) dans la même colonialiste, de coloniser d'esprit
que tous les pouvoirs ont toujours eu, ou si l'état civil, et vivre
la même histoire - de l'oppression, et non pas de libération, et
certainement pas d'émancipation.

En bref, même si il est bien sûr important de ne pas être auto-
dénigrer - et en particulier dans un document de cette ampleur -, je
trouve, malheureusement, l'auto-centré, d'auto-félicitations, et
arrogante, et un peu de complaisance. Il ya peu ou pas de réflexion
en elle, sans parler de l'auto-réflexion critique. À mon avis, ce ne
sont pas les caractéristiques d'un document de stratégie pour le FSM
devrait avoir, et que du contraire, le papier - et, espérons-le FSM
aussi - doit être plus humble dans son approche du monde et de la
façon dont il se déroule.

Le FSM, en fait, a beaucoup à apprendre des zapatistes, les peuples
autochtones, entre autres - et il en fait il a beaucoup de sens si
l'CI ont été à cette occasion d'un réexamen de sa stratégie de ne pas
apprendre à partir de les zapatistes, mais d'examiner et de réviser
sa politique et de position qui les a tenus sur le processus du Forum
- et activement les inviter à se joindre. Ce n'est pas que la CI elle-
même est arrogant, au contraire, je crois que, comme le FSM et une
partie de celui-ci, est une expérience extraordinaire dans la
construction d'une autre pratique. Mais - à mon avis - il est
précisément le courant sous-jacent est que le pouvoir (et
l'arrogance), de la civilité qui tend à diriger, et ceux qui mènent
la «MAM», de se conduire, parfois inconsciemment, comme si ce sont
eux dont les devoir et le rôle est de déterminer l'avenir du monde.
En bref, et même si le papier peint de l'MAM comme étant en litige
avec le système, je vois le lecteur sous-jacent dans le présent
document est d'être au pouvoir, et l'un de pouvoir - sur les autres,
et dans ce cas, d'autres mouvements. Le CI est prêt à prendre une
profonde regarder cela, à ce moment? Et de décider si cela est la
politique qu'il veut mettre en pratique?

8. Je trouve aussi l'affirmation que le document fait sur la première
page que l'ensemble, globale (dite) AGM est aujourd'hui sur toutes
les "droits fondamentaux", d'être non seulement très discutable, mais
aussi inquiétant. Tout d'abord, elle a de nouveau shoehorns tout le
monde dans la même boîte, et la seconde, ce qui signifie
implicitement l'MAM est, loin d'être anti-systémiques (encore moins
autonomistes), pro-étatistes et systémique (car dans le monde
d'aujourd'hui, il n'ya pas de ces droits, sans l'Etat). Est-ce ainsi
que l'MAM, et de l'CI, se considère elle-même? Plus précisément, est-
ce la façon dont ceux qui sont au cœur de stratèges au sein de la FSM
et de voir le FSM "l'assemblée générale», et la politique de
changement social?

9. Enfin dans cette liste de préoccupations, dans ma compréhension de
cette position est renforcée dans la section sur la p 4 de l'endroit
où le document présente ce qu'il appelle les six «les opportunités de
la crise mondiale". À certains égards, cette section est le cœur du
document, et de la perspective stratégique qu'il offre. Je suis ici
ne va pas dans le contenu des formulations (sauf pour dire que ces
derniers sont également tenus décevant - et un peu curieux pour un
document de stratégie - brève, et plutôt silencieux langue). Qu'est-
ce que je préfère mettre l'accent sur, et je vous demande de mettre
l'accent sur, est la politique de la proposition (pour autant que je
puisse faire cela!). En bref, je trouve les propositions - pour
savoir comment profiter de la crise actuelle et pour changer le monde
- à être, très tôt d'un, de l'état-centric vision du monde et d'être
presque pas au courant de la nouvelle, plus autonomistes , localiste,
des relations sociales qui sont déjà fortement parmi les nouveaux
mouvements sociaux, et encore moins de présenter de nouvelles
propositions. Il m'a presque chicanes (et certainement m'inquiète) à
penser que quelque chose comme le FSM pourrait même envisager de
prendre de telles positions et de pratiquer une telle politique.
J'espère que nous pouvons ici discuter en profondeur, et que l'CI, en
fera autant.

Le document déclare aussi resonantly et propose que «Le mouvement
alter-mondialiste doivent être adressées à adopter et de renforcer
ces possibilités." (C'est moi qui souligne.) ... Est-ce vraiment une
position stratégique de base et l'approche que l'CI du FSM, serait
prêt à souscrire? Mais, plus au point, puis-je entendre les échos du
Groupe des Dix-neuf du «Manifeste de Porto Alegre» en Février 2005? 3
Et aussi des échos de l'Appel de Bamako, en Janvier 2007? 4 (Il
s'agit d'une autre les deux ans à partir de là , et ainsi peut-être
que c'est que de temps encore ...) Je vous invite à jeter un regard
sur le papier dans cette perspective, et dans ce sens, également, à
certains des essais dans un lecteur de tout cela - sur la tentative
dans le cadre du Forum à donner à un unique programme politique - que
certains nous préparé en 2007.5 Et c'est dans cette perspective que
je pense que nous voulons peut-être aussi à examiner comment et
pourquoi de plus ou moins le même document a été présenté lors de
deux réunions consécutives du CI, comme mentionné ci-dessus.

Mais la grande différence cette fois est l'un, tandis que le
Manifeste de Porto Alegre et de l'Appel de Bamako vient de
l'extérieur de la sorte, celui-ci se heurte à de l'intérieur.

Et que deux, que le présent document recommande que le CI devrait
voir qu'il est de son devoir et la responsabilité non seulement
d'adopter un tel programme, mais aussi de diriger - et sans doute,
chercher à conduire - l'ensemble de la dite assemblée générale.

Est-ce que c'est, et ce devrait être, ce que le FSM est-il?

10. En somme, mon impression d'ensemble est sous-jacente et que le
papier est beaucoup trop écrit à l'équipement de la FSM se déplacer
et / ou conserver une position de pouvoir, plutôt que d'être sur le
changement en tant que telle, encore moins un changement
émancipateur, et je crois et suggèrent qu'il s'agit d'une stratégie
fondamentalement défectueux que le CI ne doit pas adopter.

11. Pour terminer sur une note plus humoristique: Le document dit
aussi «Le mouvement alter-mondialiste sera confrontée à des
tentatives de réforme radicale ...». Comme celle-ci? Attention,
attention!

Jai Sen

Notes
___________________

1 Le document distribué à la réunion de Belém CI Janvier 2009 était
intitulé «Les dangers et les opportunités de la crise mondiale», en
date du 15 Janvier 2009, et étiquetés comme "Contribution à la
stratégie de la Commission du Forum social mondial de l'International
Council" .
2 Jai Sen, Novembre 2007 - «Le pouvoir de la civilité», dans Mikael
Löfgren & Håkan Thörn, eds, 2007 - "Société civile mondiale - plus ou
moins la démocratie?", Numéro spécial de Development Dialogue, no 49,
pp 51-68 , disponible en téléchargement sur www.dhf.uu.se.
3 Groupe des Dix-neuf, Février 2005 - «Manifeste de Porto Alegre»,
datée du 20 Février 2005. Accessed 041006 @ http://www.zmag.org/
sustainers/content/2005-02/20group_of_nineteen.cfm.
4 Forum pour un autre Mali, Forum Mondial des Alternatives (France),
Forum du Tiers-Monde (Sénégal), ENDA (Sénégal), et les ors, Janvier
2006 - «L'Appel de Bamako», 18 Janvier 2006. Le texte tel qu'il est
distribué par Samir Amin, Président du Forum mondial des
Alternatives. Disponible pour la signature @ http://
thirdworldforum.net/fren/index.htm et, sinon, @ http://
www.openspaceforum.net/twiki/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=66,
http://mrzine.monthlyreview .org / bamako.html, http://
deletetheborder.org/node/698.
5 Jai Sen et Madhuresh Kumar, compilateurs, avec Patrick Bond et
Peter Waterman, Janvier 2007 - Un programme politique pour le Forum
social mondial? La démocratie, la substance, et le débat dans l'Appel
de Bamako et de la Global Justice Movements - A Reader. Publié par
CACIM (Critical Action: Centre en mouvement), New Delhi, en Inde, et
de l'Université de KwaZulu-Natal, Centre for Civil Society (CCS),
Durban, Afrique du Sud. Soft copie available at www.cacim.net et
www.nu.ac.za / ccs.
     En particulier, je vous recommande vivement de lire l'essai de
Kolya Abramsky dans ce lecteur, intitulé «L'Appel de Bamako et la
Déclaration Zapatiste 6ème - Entre la création de nouveaux mondes et
de réorganisation de l'existant», qui est une brillante discussion
comparative de deux types très différents approches pour le
changement. Cet essai est maintenant également disponible dans une
forme développée dans le CE1 Critical Engagement de CACIM série et
disponibles en copie à www.cacim.net; le titre «L'Appel de Bamako et
la Déclaration Zapatiste 6ème - De la réorganisation du monde
existant pour la création de nouveaux principes.

jai.sen at cacim.net
CACIM, A-3 Defence Colony, New Delhi 110 024, India
www.cacim.net
Ph : +91-11-4155 1521, +91-98189 11325 - PLEASE NOTE NEW SECOND NUMBER !

Check out the OpenSpaceForum @ www.openspaceforum.net

Subscribe to WSFDiscuss, an open and unmoderated forum on the World
Social Forum and on related social and political movements and
issues. Simply send an empty email to worldsocialforum-discuss-
subscribe at openspaceforum.net

P  Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

Note : In case you are having problems opening any Word attachments I
have sent you here, you could try one of the following : (a) Put your
cursor on the icon, do a right click, see ‘Open With’, and open with
Word…; or (b), try saving the document onto your desktop or hard
disc, and then opening it.  With apologies in advance if this advice
seems to question your technological literacy…