[WSF-Discuss] Be the Seed : Final version of Commentary on Bolivia’s Call for a ‘Peoples’ World Conference On Climate Change And The Rights Of Mother Earth’

Jai Sen jai.sen at cacim.net
Wed Apr 7 01:17:58 CDT 2010

Wednesday, 7 April 2010

On March 15 this year, I posted a working draft on this list of an
introduction I had written to the ‘Peoples’ World Conference On
Climate Change And Mother Earth’s Rights’ that is being organised in
Cochabamba during April 19-22 by the government of Bolivia (www.cmpcc.org
).

I have now revised and finalised that Note based on comments I got,
and this is now available as follows :

Be the Seed : An Introduction to and Commentary on the government of
Bolivia’s Call for a ‘Peoples’ World Conference On Climate Change And
The Rights Of Mother Earth’, @ http://cacim.net/twiki/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=64
, http://www.choike.org/2009/eng/informes/7620.html, and http://www.zcommunications.org/be-the-seed-by-jai-sen

I conclude my Note by saying :

I believe that at this juncture in world history, we need to raise our
eyes and think and act at another level : In short, if we can perceive
what I have termed “the emancipatory, insurgent, and anti-imperialist
content” of the government of Bolivia’s Call, then surely this means
that we need to take the most determined and imaginative steps
possible to defend and promote this content – and not to surrender it,
and not to allow the Cochabamba Conference and initiative to be
compromised or overwhelmed.  And we need also to respect the historic
fact that this is perhaps the first time that a proposal by indigenous
peoples has reached the world in this way – and therefore to relate to
it with transcommunal respect and solidarity.

 From wherever you are in the world : Be the seed !

As always, I’d be happy to have comments on this Note, but even more,
this is an invitation to all those who are going to the Cochabamba
Conference to report on it on this list, and to ask all those who are
otherwise engaging with it to also come in with information, reports,
and comments.

             JS

jai.sen at cacim.net
CACIM, A-3 Defence Colony, New Delhi 110 024, India
www.cacim.net
Ph : +91-11-4155 1521, +91-98189 11325

DELETION OF OLD EMAIL IDs : Please note that I am no longer using my
earlier email ids, jai.sen at vsnl.com and jai_sen2000 at yahoo.com. PLEASE
KINDLY DELETE THESE FROM YOUR RECORDS ! Thanks.

NEW :
‘Be the Seed : An Introduction to and Commentary on the government of
Bolivia’s Call for a ‘Peoples’ World Conference On Climate Change And
The Rights Of Mother Earth’’, @ http://cacim.net/twiki/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=64
, http://www.choike.org/2009/eng/informes/7620.html, and http://www.zcommunications.org/be-the-seed-by-jai-sen

‘On open space : Explorations towards a vocabulary of a more open
politics’, @ http://cacim.net/twiki/tiki-index.php?page=Publications

FORTHCOMING :

Jai Sen, ed, forthcoming (2010a) - Interrogating Empires, Book 2 in
the Are Other Worlds Possible ? series.  New Delhi : OpenWord and
Daanish Books

Jai Sen, ed, forthcoming (2010b) - Imagining Alternatives, Book 3 in
the Are Other Worlds Possible ? series.  New Delhi : OpenWord and
Daanish Books

CHECK OUT both CACIM @ www.cacim.net and OpenSpaceForum @ www.openspaceforum.net

SUBSCRIBE TO WSFDiscuss, an open and unmoderated forum on the World
Social Forum and on related social and political movements and issues.
Simply send an empty email to worldsocialforum-discuss-subscribe at openspaceforum.net

P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail !!

Note : I work on a Mac. In case you don't, and are having problems
opening any Word attachments I have sent you, you could try one of the
following : (a) Put your cursor on the icon, do a right click, see
‘Open With’, and open with Word…; or (b), try saving the document onto
your desktop or hard disc, and then opening it.  With apologies in
advance if this advice seems to question your technological literacy..