[WSF-Discuss] Fwd: In the Wake of Dantewada Massacre: Three (Divergent) Responses

Jai Sen jai.sen at cacim.net
Wed Apr 7 23:12:30 CDT 2010

Thursday, April 6 2010

As you must know, the government of India has launched a so-called
‘Operation Green Hunt’ against Maoist forces active in central India
(in the states of Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Orissa, and West Bengal).
Day before yesterday, on Tuesday, April 6, some 76 members of the
government of India’s operational forces in the area were killed in
what has so far been called an ‘ambush’ and a 'massacre' by the
Maoists – and with apparently no loss of life among the Maoists.  This
is by far the largest such ‘loss’ for the state, and if experience in
other such so-called ‘counter-insurgency’ actions elsewhere in the
country in the past are anything to go by, this could be the prelude
to a major racheting up of the scale of warfare, both officially
launched and as uncontrolled reprisals by the government forces who,
as someone has already said, must be really pissed off by what has
taken place.  And where they will almost certainly take their
vengeance out on the ordinary people of the area, mostly Adivasis
(tribal peoples) and mostly innocent.

I have done periodic postings on earlier happenings, but this is now
big.  I therefore expect to be now more regularly forwarding
information on what is happening.

First, this one, a useful collation of articles and diverse opinions,
and a comment; and then news of a major initiative taken by civil
movements and organisations, an ‘Independent People’s Tribunal on Land
Acquisition, Resource Grab, and Operation Green Hunt’ that is taking
place from tomorrow in New Delhi.

             JS

fwd

Begin forwarded message:

jai.sen at cacim.net
CACIM, A-3 Defence Colony, New Delhi 110 024, India
www.cacim.net
Ph : +91-11-4155 1521, +91-98189 11325

DELETION OF OLD EMAIL IDs : Please note that I am no longer using my
earlier email ids, jai.sen at vsnl.com and jai_sen2000 at yahoo.com. PLEASE
KINDLY DELETE THESE FROM YOUR RECORDS ! Thanks.

NEW :
‘Be the Seed : An Introduction to and Commentary on the government of
Bolivia’s Call for a ‘Peoples’ World Conference On Climate Change And
The Rights Of Mother Earth’’, @ http://cacim.net/twiki/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=64
, http://www.choike.org/2009/eng/informes/7620.html, and http://www.zcommunications.org/be-the-seed-by-jai-sen

‘On open space : Explorations towards a vocabulary of a more open
politics’, @ http://cacim.net/twiki/tiki-index.php?page=Publications

FORTHCOMING :

Jai Sen, ed, forthcoming (2010a) - Interrogating Empires, Book 2 in
the Are Other Worlds Possible ? series.  New Delhi : OpenWord and
Daanish Books

Jai Sen, ed, forthcoming (2010b) - Imagining Alternatives, Book 3 in
the Are Other Worlds Possible ? series.  New Delhi : OpenWord and
Daanish Books

CHECK OUT both CACIM @ www.cacim.net and OpenSpaceForum @ www.openspaceforum.net

SUBSCRIBE TO WSFDiscuss, an open and unmoderated forum on the World
Social Forum and on related social and political movements and issues.
Simply send an empty email to worldsocialforum-discuss-subscribe at openspaceforum.net

P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail !!

Note : I work on a Mac. In case you don't, and are having problems
opening any Word attachments I have sent you, you could try one of the
following : (a) Put your cursor on the icon, do a right click, see
‘Open With’, and open with Word…; or (b), try saving the document onto
your desktop or hard disc, and then opening it.  With apologies in
advance if this advice seems to question your technological literacy..