[WSF-Discuss] Planeta o Muerte — Evo Morales and the Revolutionary Politics of Mother Earth

Jai Sen jai.sen at cacim.net
Wed Apr 21 09:43:22 CDT 2010

Planeta o Muerte — Evo Morales and the Revolutionary Politics of
Mother Earth
Wednesday 21 April 2010
By Roberto Lovato, New America Media, April 21, 2010
http://envivo.cmpcc.org.bo/Planeta-o-Muerte-Evo-Morales-and

LA PAZ, Bolivia — Bolivian President Evo Morales seems testier today
than when he told me during a 2007 interview, "For 500 years, we have
had patience."

The urgency felt by Morales and the more than 15,000 from 150 nations
attending the World People’s Conference on Climate Change and the
Rights of Mother Earth (CMPCC) was evident from the first sentences
uttered by the host and convener of this unprecedented gathering in
Tiquipaya, a small town just north of Cochabamba, home of the historic
“water war” that helped sweep Morales into power.

In a 21st century twist on “Revolucion o Muerte” (Revolution or
Death), the slogan that powered Latin American revolutionary movements
of the 60’s and 70’s, the generally soft-spoken Morales opened the
conference by shouting “Planeta o Muerte!” (Planet or Death). Morales
slogan drew raucous responses from the diverse and mostly dark-skinned
crowd filling a stadium that bore more flags of indigenous nations
than it did of nation states like Bolivia. Having sung just prior to
Morales invocation the song “Oye-amigo-tu-tierra-esta-en-
peligro” (Listen friend, your earth is in danger), a variation on the
Spanish language version of “The people united will never be
defeated”, the crowd was ready to accept Morales’ challenge.

Morales choice of opening words as well as his convening of this
unprecedented global mobilization reflects less a greening of
revolutionary movements or a revolutionizing of green movements, and
more of something else, something even more ambitious: inspiring a new
era in hemispheric and global politics, one that fuses the best of
indigenous, leftist, labor, environmentalist and other movements in
the effort to save Panchamama (Mother Earth). The welcome from the
President of the Plurinational State of Bulibiya (Bolivia in Quechua)
also marks another stage in the remarkable rise of an indigenous
former coca-grower and immigrant (Morales migrated to Argentina in his
youth) who has become the de-facto leader of this hybrid global
movement that links the rights of humans to what organizers have
coined the “Universal Rights of Mother Earth.”

“Without equilibrium between people, there will be no equilibrium
between humans and nature” said Morales, who proposed the CMPCC
following what he and all attendees here consider the failure of the
top-down driven Copenhagen round of climate talks to secure
commitments to emissions reductions that will keep temperature rises
to less than 2 degrees centigrade. The unapologetically anti-
capitalist philosophy, program and approach of the CMPCC and Morales
(ie; “Either capitalism dies or Mother Earth dies”) stand in direct
conflict with the approach taken by the leaders of industrial nations
behind the Copenhagen agreement. Critics came to Tiquipaya, a suburb
of Cochabamaba, out of dismay with the “Copenhagen consensus,” which
was brokered behind closed doors and rapidly ratified with little time
for discussion and no connection to issues being discussed here:
climate migration, agriculture and food sovereignty, climate debt,
indigenous peoples and 14 other issues organizers say they will push
during the next round of UN-sponsored climate talks taking place in
Mexico this November.

Also reflecting the alternative cosmovision (world view) of the
burgeoning movement are proposals for the creation of, among other
things, a climate justice tribunal that would establish an
international legal framework to criminalize and punish those
perpetrating climate crimes against the rights of Mother Earth and
humanity. Filling the air of the Tiquipaya and rooting all of the
proposals of the CMPCC is what writer Eduardo Galeano called in a
statement read by the Uruguayan ambassador to Bolivia, “the voices of
the past that speak to the future.”

Sponsoring a conference with the radical approach of the CMPCC puts
Morales, the first indigenous head of state in Bolivia, a majority
indigenous country, in direct conflict with another head of state
whose election marked a historic political and racial shift, Barack
Obama, who also played an active role in the Copenhagen “consensus.
“The failure of Copenhagen caused Evo Morales and other leaders on
climate change to call for the (CMPCC) conference” said, Lim Li Lin,
senior legal and environment researcher at the Third World Network, a
global rights group based in Malaysia. “By leading Copenhagen, Obama
helped provide a platform for the alternative leadership of the
movement led by President Morales.”

The growing conflict between the political interests and agendas
embodied by Obama and Morales was on full display recently as the
United States decided to cut aid for climate change to Bolivia,
Ecuador and other countries opposed to the Copenhagen accord.
Representatives of some of the governments attending the conference
also told me that the Obama Administration and other industrialized
nations were applying pressure on countries not to attend the CMPCC.
And, though he may not intend it, Morales leadership of the
revolutionary movement for the rights of Mother Earth also appears to
be overshadowing (at least momentarily) the hemispheric and global
left leadership of his ally and fellow conference attendee, Hugo
Chavez, who has received similar treatment from the Obama
Administration around drug enforcement and other aid.

Bursting with enthusiasm under the blaring hot sun filling the stadium
that shook with chants of “Ole, Ole,Ole, Ole, Evo, Evo,” Marcelina
Vargas, a Quechua-speaking member of the Peasant Confederation of
Peru, accepted Morales’ Planeta o Muerte (Kay Pa Chachu o wanyuychu in
Quechua). “For our people, for everybody, water is life. In Peru,
we’re defending Panchamama (Mother Earth) from companies with US and
Canadian investments, companies that are contaminating our water” said
Vargas, who wore one of the ubiquitous hats and ponchos seen
throughout the region. “Evo is an expression of our movement and I
feel happy he’s helping the world see our ways.”

jai.sen at cacim.net
CACIM, A-3 Defence Colony, New Delhi 110 024, India
www.cacim.net
Ph : +91-11-4155 1521, +91-98189 11325

DELETION OF OLD EMAIL IDs : Please note that I am no longer using my
earlier email ids, jai.sen at vsnl.com and jai_sen2000 at yahoo.com. PLEASE
KINDLY DELETE THESE FROM YOUR RECORDS ! Thanks.

NEW :
‘Be the Seed : An Introduction to and Commentary on the government of
Bolivia’s Call for a ‘Peoples’ World Conference On Climate Change And
The Rights Of Mother Earth’’, @ http://cacim.net/twiki/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=64
, http://www.choike.org/2009/eng/informes/7620.html, and http://www.zcommunications.org/be-the-seed-by-jai-sen
.  Also available in Spanish @ http://www.choike.org/2009/esp/informes/153.html

‘On open space : Explorations towards a vocabulary of a more open
politics’, @ http://cacim.net/twiki/tiki-index.php?page=Publications

FORTHCOMING :

Jai Sen, ed, forthcoming (2010a) - Interrogating Empires, Book 2 in
the Are Other Worlds Possible ? series.  New Delhi : OpenWord and
Daanish Books

Jai Sen, ed, forthcoming (2010b) - Imagining Alternatives, Book 3 in
the Are Other Worlds Possible ? series.  New Delhi : OpenWord and
Daanish Books

CHECK OUT both CACIM @ www.cacim.net and OpenSpaceForum @ www.openspaceforum.net

SUBSCRIBE TO WSFDiscuss, an open and unmoderated forum on the World
Social Forum and on related social and political movements and issues.
Simply send an empty email to worldsocialforum-discuss-subscribe at openspaceforum.net

P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail !!

Note : I work on a Mac. In case you don't, and are having problems
opening any Word attachments I have sent you, you could try one of the
following : (a) Put your cursor on the icon, do a right click, see
‘Open With’, and open with Word…; or (b), try saving the document onto
your desktop or hard disc, and then opening it.  With apologies in
advance if this advice seems to question your technological literacy..