[WSF-Discuss] Fwd: Bolivian Government Increases its Moral Authority on Climate Change

Jai Sen jai.sen at cacim.net
Wed Apr 21 22:42:10 CDT 2010

Thursday, 22 April 2010

What is happening today in Cochabamba, Bolivia, is interesting, and
historically significant, in many ways.  One among them is how
significant and influential social actors across the world, in the
South and in the North, are – at this time of planetary crisis -
recognising the importance of moral authority, and in this case that
Bolivia has greatly increased its moral authority (and by extension,
and in a very limited way, the moral authority of the so-called
‘South’, though this is a complex issue).  See, for instance, this
Media Advisory issued from Cochabamba by Friends of the Earth
International.

But, and as I have argued in earlier postings though, Bolivia is also
not just any actor from the South; it has a government led by
indigenous peoples and is the closest we have, at this point of time
in history, to a social movement state.  (See my posting on April 7 on
this list.*)

What this also suggests though, is that if Bolivia keeps to this – if
it continues to act with moral authority – then, and I say this
cautiously, we have the extremely rare situation emerging where those
who have been historically oppressed (and savaged) by civil societies
across the world are now showing the way – and that significant civil
organisations such as Friends of the Earth International are willing,
at least as of the moment, to accept this leadership.

In a soon-to-be-published essay titled ‘Interrogating Civility : Some
Critical Reflections on the Concept of Civil Society’, however, I
argue that :

In conclusion, I submit that we need to recognise that emerging global
alliance between and cooperation among civil social and political
actors – that is collectively referred to as ‘global civil society’ –
is first and foremost a crucial vehicle for transnational civil
solidarity [and where I argue before this in my essay that ‘civil’
means - in short - middle-class, upper caste, male, and white/fair
power, both in the North and the South; those who have historically
been in control]; which in reality means the consolidation of the hold
of civil societies transnationally.  In a very limited sense, I agree
that this coming on to the world stage of non-state actors contributes
to the democratisation of world politics.  But seen through the lens
of the dramatic and historic larger and wider democratisation that is
beginning to unfold before us in our times, [and where ‘Cochabamba’ is
a classic example] this cooperation and consolidation is more
importantly also – because of the dynamics of civility and its
internal tendencies of corporatisation that I have tried to discuss in
this essay – an instrument for the consolidation, strengthening, and
imposition of historically unequal social and political relations and
of entrenched interests at local, national, regional, and global
levels.  I therefore suggest that what is fondly called ‘global civil
society’ is arguably today contributing – in a larger historical
perspective, and in view of its politics – to less democracy, not
more.  All of us, civil and incivil, need to reflect on this.**

Am I wrong ?  It will be interesting to see what role 'Cochabamba'
ultimately plays in this unfolding historical drama….

             JS

* ‘Be the Seed : An Introduction to and Commentary on the government
of Bolivia’s Call for a ‘Peoples’ World Conference On Climate Change
And The Rights Of Mother Earth’, @ http://cacim.net/twiki/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=64
, http://www.choike.org/2009/eng/informes/7620.html, and http://www.zcommunications.org/be-the-seed-by-jai-sen

** : For those interested, my essay is coming out soon in Jai Sen and
Peter Waterman, eds, forthcoming (2010b) - Worlds of Movement, Worlds
in Movement. Volume 4 in the Challenging Empires series.  New Delhi :
OpenWord.  For an earlier version of my arguments, see : Jai Sen,
November 2007d – ‘The power of civility’, in Mikael Löfgren and Håkan
Thörn, eds, 2007 – ‘Global Civil Society – More Or Less Democracy ?’,
special issue of Development Dialogue, no 49, pp 51-68.  Full issue
available for download @ www.dhf.uu.se

Begin forwarded message:

jai.sen at cacim.net
CACIM, A-3 Defence Colony, New Delhi 110 024, India
www.cacim.net
Ph : +91-11-4155 1521, +91-98189 11325

DELETION OF OLD EMAIL IDs : Please note that I am no longer using my
earlier email ids, jai.sen at vsnl.com and jai_sen2000 at yahoo.com. PLEASE
KINDLY DELETE THESE FROM YOUR RECORDS ! Thanks.

NEW :
‘Be the Seed : An Introduction to and Commentary on the government of
Bolivia’s Call for a ‘Peoples’ World Conference On Climate Change And
The Rights Of Mother Earth’’, @ http://cacim.net/twiki/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=64
, http://www.choike.org/2009/eng/informes/7620.html, and http://www.zcommunications.org/be-the-seed-by-jai-sen
.  Also available in Spanish @ http://www.choike.org/2009/esp/informes/153.html

‘On open space : Explorations towards a vocabulary of a more open
politics’, @ http://cacim.net/twiki/tiki-index.php?page=Publications

FORTHCOMING :

Jai Sen, ed, forthcoming (2010a) - Interrogating Empires, Book 2 in
the Are Other Worlds Possible ? series.  New Delhi : OpenWord and
Daanish Books

Jai Sen, ed, forthcoming (2010b) - Imagining Alternatives, Book 3 in
the Are Other Worlds Possible ? series.  New Delhi : OpenWord and
Daanish Books

CHECK OUT both CACIM @ www.cacim.net and OpenSpaceForum @ www.openspaceforum.net

SUBSCRIBE TO WSFDiscuss, an open and unmoderated forum on the World
Social Forum and on related social and political movements and issues.
Simply send an empty email to worldsocialforum-discuss-subscribe at openspaceforum.net

P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail !!

Note : I work on a Mac. In case you don't, and are having problems
opening any Word attachments I have sent you, you could try one of the
following : (a) Put your cursor on the icon, do a right click, see
‘Open With’, and open with Word…; or (b), try saving the document onto
your desktop or hard disc, and then opening it.  With apologies in
advance if this advice seems to question your technological literacy..