[WSF-Discuss] A masterclass in changing the world

Laurence Cox Laurence.Cox at nuim.ie
Tue May 6 07:20:56 CDT 2014

This may be of interest to some listmembers or to people you know -
apologies for any crossposting.

Laurence

---

MA CEESA -- a masterclass in changing the world
National University of Ireland Maynooth

Are you

-         - active in social movement struggles but need space to stand
back, reflect, recharge?

-         - involved in community and voluntary activism but feel
trapped by the structures?

-         - politically minded but don't know how to turn that into an
effective and radical practice?

-- clear that social change is central to you but unsure how to build a
life around it?

-        - interested in spending a year with your peers and experienced
practitioners?

Around the world today, movements and communities are making history --
or trying to. The need for change is huge and the outcome is still all
to play for. We see apparently-unstoppable movements squashed and
apparently-hopeless ideas winning against all the odds. What makes the
difference, and how can our movements find a way forward and even change
the world?

The MA in Community Education, Equality and Social Activism (CEESA) at
NUI Maynooth responds to the crisis by helping us learn from each
other's struggles in dialogue between different movements, different
communities, different generations. The course is not tied to any single
movement and participants come from many different communities and
countries. Some are experienced activists who want to go back to
education; others are less experienced people who are keen to get
involved in movements. This mixture of ages, backgrounds, experiences
and questions is an integral part of what makes the course so rewarding.
Together we are building a diverse network of movement activists,
radical educators and campaigners for equality and creating new
alliances for change.

The course team are experienced practitioners and engaged scholars
working on equality, radical education and movement struggles. The
course combines social analysis, bottom-up organising methods and
political strategy with a wide range of pedagogies and a focus on
knowledge for change, taking a practical but radical look at the
problems facing movements today. Our small-group classes run on Mondays
and Tuesdays to facilitate participants, over two 12-week terms followed
by work on a project aimed at developing your own movement practice.

Often we are told that we have to choose between our politics and "real
life". This course shows how to integrate the two with confidence,
practicality, solidarity, emotional resilience, seeing the bigger
picture, taking time out to reflect and supporting each other for the
long haul. Participants go back to their own movements refreshed, set up
new projects, find work in movement organisations, go on to further
education - and bring back what they have learned to their own struggles.

For more details: ceesa-ma.blogspot.com <http://ceesa-ma.blogspot.com>
and www.nuim.ie/study-maynooth/postgraduate-studies
<http://www.nuim.ie/study-maynooth/postgraduate-studies>

Contact: adcomed at nuim.ie <mailto:adcomed at nuim.ie>

Closing date for applications: May 30, 2014