[WSF-Discuss] Fwd: Tunis Meeting On Climate Mobilizations And Strategies (contact at coalitionclimat21.org) - But… where is Mother Earth ?

Jai Sen jai.sen at cacim.net
Sat Apr 4 02:08:20 CDT 2015

Saturday, April 4 2015

Worlds in movement, worlds of movement…

Climate in movement…

Tunis Meeting On Climate Mobilizations And Strategies

March 23rd and 24th 2015, Tunis El Manar University

But… where is Mother Earth ?

(I wasn't at Tunis, and for various reasons also wasn't able to keep up with things happening there in detail – and so, all the more, this report on what appears to have been a major meeting / convergence in Tunis on climate actions seems to me to be impressive, and encouraging.

(Having said this however, and though I don't want to sound churlish, what seems to me to be curiously – and sadly - missing in this statement is not just a reference to Mother Earth but any reverence for her, and going beyond that, there seems an absence of any reflection of – let alone incorporation of - ‘other’ conceptualisations for and strategisation towards ‘climate change’ and what this means, and the actions we should therefore take; and specifically those (and I use the plural consciously) that have been spelled out so widely and so profoundly by indigenous and aboriginal peoples and First Nations from across the world….. in recent years and over so many years now.  (Or am I wrong ?  Have I perhaps not read this report carefully enough ?)

(If this is the case, at one level this is not surprising at all, because it is contained within the internal dynamics of the Tunis Forum and of the World Social Forum process in general : That it was - and WSF meetings generally are – primarily (and usually overwhelmingly) attended by and therefore dominated by what is cutely called ‘civil society’, ie by the centre of societies, and in particular, by the non-marginal and the non-indigenous of societies.  Not only because we have The Money or belong to institutions that have The Money (which is true, whether we like it or not), ie so-called NGOs, universities, and so on, but far more profoundly because the WSF does not naturally attract ‘the margins’ / stroke / the margins tend to stay away / are kept away, and are marginalised even if there.[1]  And where I anyway argue (on this list and elsewhere) that this happens precisely – and structurally - because ‘the WSF process’ is a creation of ‘civil society’ and where by and large, and other than in the US, civil organisations have tightly held on to the control, not just in Brazil and India but also, I would guess, in Tunisia and elsewhere, as what I suggest is a general historical project of ‘civil society’ (and where please understand I am not here addressing this comment at any particular individuals or institutions, but making a general comment).[2]

(The organic result of this is that – I would guess – there were almost certainly very few such peoples present at Tunis, and therefore also at the meeting from which this report has come.  And as a result, this report – and however good it might otherwise be - sounds just like any other report coming from militants in the North (and in the North in the South)…  Very ‘systematic’, very precise, but also very linear, very ‘management-by-objective’ – because yes, we have all so strongly internalised and digested this ideology of management and of war….

(But it also goes beyond this.  Because if indeed it is the case that this report, and the strategies and futures envisaged, lack a reference to Mother Earth, far from a reverence, then this also means that ‘we’ from ‘civil society’ have also not – on the other hand – at all yet internalised and digested the idea of respecting and revering Mother Earth, let alone celebrating her and ourselves as an organic part of her, and however much we say we celebrate Cochabamba….[3]  I do not at all mean to essentialise indigenous peoples, or to suggest that they have a monopoly on the truth.  But if the absences I am pointing to are at all the case, then I think we – the non-indigenous - need urgently to reflect on this… and see how this can be addressed, even now.  Not only in terms of ‘inclusion’ but more importantly in terms of vision, and comprehension.

            But in any case - thanks for posting this, Patrick.  I am copying this post to you and to the 1-2 other people who I know were at the Tunis Forum and at this meeting, to comment on and clarify, and in addition, to indigenous peoples I am in touch with and respect, for their comments and thoughts.

            JS

fwd

[1] For those interested in reading more on this, see : Janet Conway, 2012 - Edges of Global Justice : The World Social Forum and its ‘Others’. London and New York : Routledge; and also : Jai Sen, November 2007d – ‘The power of civility’, in Mikael Löfgren and Håkan Thörn, eds, 2007 – ‘Global Civil Society – More Or Less Democracy ?’, special issue of Development Dialogue, no 49, pp 51-68.  Available @ https://independent.academia.edu/JaiSen.  Full issue available for download @ www.dhf.uu.se

[2] See : Jai Sen, November 2007d, as above.

[3] For those not familiar with ‘Cochabamba’, see : Anon (Participants at the World People’s Conference on Climate Change and the Rights of Mother Earth, Cochabamba, Bolivia), April 2010a – ‘People’s Agreement of Cochabamba : Statement from the World People’s Conference on Climate Change and the Rights of Mother Earth, April 22nd 2010, Cochabamba, Bolivia’.  Accessed js js 20.10.2013 @ http://pwccc.wordpress.com/support/; and : Anon, April 2010b - ‘Proposal [for a] Universal Declaration of the Rights of Mother Earth’, from the ‘World Peoples’ Conference on Climate Change and Mother Earth’s Rights’ organised by the Plurinational Government of Bolivia in Cochabamba, Bolivia, in April 2010, @ http://pwccc.wordpress.com/programa/ (accessed js 20.10.2013).

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Patrick Bond <pbond at mail.ngo.za>
> Subject: [Debate-List] (Fwd) Tunis report-back on Paris COP21 planning (contact at coalitionclimat21.org)
> Date: April 3, 2015 at 3:04:08 PM GMT+5:30
> To: "cjn-south-africa at googlegroups.com" <cjn-south-africa at googlegroups.com>, Climate Justice Network <cjn at lists.riseup.net>, CJA International <climate09-int at lists.riseup.net>, "demandclimatejustice at googlegroups.com" <demandclimatejustice at googlegroups.com>, IANRA list <ianra1 at googlegroups.com>, SAwatercaucus at googlegroups.com, DEBATE <debate-list at fahamu.org>

March 23rd and 24th 2015, Tunis El Manar university

TUNIS MEETING ON CLIMATE MOBILIZATIONS AND STRATEGIES

The French coalition hosted a broad and open meeting in Tunis on March 23rd and 24th to discuss mobilization plans and strategies for 2015 and beyond and take concrete steps forward. The meeting was designed to sustain and strengthen the dialogue within the movement; as well as identify common ground on narrative and ¨choreography¨ of the mobilisation (shape and intent); and agree on some clear guidelines for French coalition to work with. We wish to seize this opportunity to thank everyone (participants, organizers, translators and facilitators) for their active contribution to the success of this meeting. Please mark you calendars: the plan is to meet again on June 13th and 14th in Paris.

KEY DECISIONS AND NEXT STEPS

Decisions made

1/ Call for large-scale mobilizations on November 28th/29th in capitals where national movements/coalitions can/want to. The aim of these mobilisations is to express people demands.

2/ Call for mass mobilizations in Paris on December 12th as part of an escalation* of mobilizations across the two weeks.

* The formulation was slightly modified as it was not correct English when adopted in Tunis.

Next steps

Another mobilization strategy and planning meeting will take place in Paris, on June 13th and 14th. The proposal is to move forward on the following elements in time for the Paris meeting.

    Keep consolidating the overarching narrative(s), taking into account reactions and suggestions from the Tunis meeting

    Develop concrete proposals for the end moment in line with guidelines defined by the working group on 1st and last day mobilizations (cf. minutes)

    Develop concrete proposals for 2016

    Reach out to coalitions in capital cities to call for action at the beginning of the COP

    Prepare a call to action that clearly calls on group to come to Paris for the end mobilizations.

    Develop a survey to map out initiatives across the two weeks of the COP

***

[...]

DAY 1. INTRODUCTORY SESSION

1/ The French Coalition

Presentation
·         An alliance made up of 100 organisations: trade unions, social movements, environmental and development NGOs, youth groups, faith-based organisations, local groups (energy transition, anti-fracking, water), Alternatiba groups, small and big logos
·         Born early 2014, following a shift in UNFCCC strategies and the Warsaw walk-out
·         Hub for mobilization planning in France
·         Connecting with international networks and local groups on a regular basis

WE’RE ONLINE! www.coalitionclimat21.org
(in French, English and Spanish)

A challenging national context
·         Inconsistent and unambitious climate policies in France => COP21 is about winning national and local climate battles (in policies and on the ground)
·         The national elections are taking place in May 2017 => high risk of political co-option of our mobilizations this year
·         The regional elections are taking place on December 6th and December 12th => challenge for the visibility of our mobilizations

The French Call to Action (see in the annex)
·         May 30th and 31st
·         September 26th and 27th,
·         November 28th and 29th,
·         During the two weeks of the COP,
·         December 12th

2/ Seeking alignment on an overarching narrative

Presentation of different inputs

Anabella, ITUC (+Action Aid, Asian movement on debt and development, Bolivian platform on CC, Christian Aid, GP, mesoamerican campaign for climate justice, PACJA, Oxfam, WWF, etc
Mark Raven, CAN (on behalf of the « Croissant Conspiracy », an informal group of communication experts from CAN and beyond)
Payal, 350.org (on behalf of350.org and Avaaz)
Malika Peyrault, FOE on behalf of the French Call to Action
« we » have a responsibility to strengthen and deepen the movement to influence decision-makers and decisions
Just transition, no more fossil fuels, noone left behind
Everybody is impacted by CC: jobs, public spending, energy poverty,
Citizen-driven solutions and alternatives
Many huge struggles on the ground for people, workers, energy water, food security, vulnerable people
Benefit and urgence of taking action
Vested interests of fossil fuel industry – polluters before the people
Set expectations for governments and national/local struggles
Need much more international ambition on finance, equity, economic support, just transition
Bad guys vs. Citizen-powered, people movement on solutions
Juste transition, renewable energy locally-controlled, fair jobs, affordable energy access for all
escalation
Rejection of « false solutions »
Action now, opportunity in Paris to take the right direction
people are not going to stand and allow polluters to wreck our planet
escalation of mobilizations
Paris will not be enough, the fight does not end in Paris. Last word = people are not going to accept decisions that do not kickstart immediate transition
A mass mobilization reclaiming people power and paving the way to what next as the fight against climate change does not end in Paris no matter what

Reactions from the room

Good
Can do better
Convergence paris in sufficient, escalation, looking beyond Paris, just transition
Just transition; urgent, immediate better
Coal in the hole, oil in the soil
Keeping climate a prioritiy, do not separate issues and make one fight, spread to movements that are not connected to climate, break sustainable myth
Too optimistic, system change missing, no discussion of bad deal, need more coherent msg on false solns, too anthropocentric and government perspective, nothing on adaptation; outside inside strategy missing, narrative too weak to mobilise

Too  much focus on govts, need coherent insude outside strategy fossil fuel industry and corporate capture, system change at its front; need clear redlines for govts, do not represent us and take into our own hands

Wrap-up on narrative by the facilitators
·         Process and narrative should be inclusive, across movements, identify local struggles
·         Narrative should escalate and help make the big picture more intense and bigger
·         Target/confront bad guys: eg. Fossil fuel industry
·         What are we moving toward: immediate, just, alternative transition. What do we mean by systemic change more specifically?
·         The UNFCCC focus does not help this broader narrative

3/ Lessons learnt from past mobilizations

Key lessons from the People’s Climate March in New York from CJA
•         Challenges in process alignment between top down vs. bottom up
•         Negotiating common cause between big greens, labour and EJ
•         The politics of principles vs. the politics of campaign goals
•         The dichotomies of:
◦ Density vs. Depth
◦ Scale vs. Roots (big green numbers vs. community power)
◦ Brand recognition vs. Street Cred
◦ One shot event vs. Movement Building orientation
◦ Local-National to International
•         Ongoing risk taking and breaking down of assumptions.
•         The newly paved path forward to Paris and Beyond
•         Recalibration of the movement - Strategy for winning- redefining what “winning”  is.
•         Personal transformations, internal, relational transformations
•         Root Cause analysis and transformative vision.

Key lessons learnt on New York’s People March by Avaaz
•      Have a clear vision and keep it simple
•      Online and offline makes it big
•      Provide open spaces for organizing
•      Be flexible and nimble
•      47 % came from NY and surroundings 53 from US = huge effort to bring people from the whole country.
•      50 000 students coming.
•      1574 organizations (80 trade unions).

Key lessons learnt from the Lima March by MOCICC
•      Biggest event of the democratic history of Peru. More than 20 000 people
•      18 months of work
•      First steps = agreeing on common messages (5-6 months). Seeking inclusivity
•      Agreed on radical message (system change not climate change) cause the problem is radical → not all shared the message but all understood the necessity of such a message
•      Not just about logistics, should also be about narrative and political strategies beyond the march
•      Invite everyone = broad invitation
•      Should target not just the States but also capitalism

Some of the reactions from the room
•   In Lima
•      Prayer + March for Peace also but did not get attention
•      Historic process in Peru with support of Latin American movements (improved understanding, communication, assemblies)
•   People’s Climate March
•      Problem of political leaders hijacking the march (pictures)
•      No « closure » of the march – need to keep the people energized at the end of the march
•   General
•      Too focused on the UN
•      Bring on board the front line communities
•      Need to discuss a strategy beyond the mobilization moments on how to change the system
•      Need to address production and consumption issues = the West must take responsibility

Wrap-up on past mobilizations
•      The way we organise and the way our mobilizations look need to be connected to the narrative
•      Issue of messaging = need for strong messaging on real demands, rooted into what into really needs to change vs. Slogan
•      Work with most impacted communities, they often have the solutions
•      Shift power back to people beyond the mobilizations moments
•      Need principles that people agree to work with: find common ground, compromise
•      For mobilization to have political impact, it’s also about logistics: getting there, sleeping options, etc
•      Need to be online also to support offline mobilizations
•      Community organising/field work is very important to get people to come and explain to them why it’s important
•      Movement needs to come out stronger and more energized

4/ Presentation of initiatives

* cf. map of initiatives for contacts

•   Run for your life
•   Reclaim Power
•   Rural women assembly
•   Alternatiba
•   Climate Express
•   PACJA plans in Africa
•   Grassroot groups: climate games

DAY 1 AND 2 - WORKING GROUPS

Working group 1. Mobilizations throughout 2015

Cf. map of initiatives indicated during the meeting (annex to this document).

OUTCOMES FROM DISCUSSIONS – areas of discussion
•   Frontline communities
     People surge – but many affected communities not mapped
     Reach out and mobilise communities most affected by CC – give them a voice
     Ensure that move away from fossil fuels doesn´t lead to false solutions, e.g. dams
     Maximise INDCs in respective countries, connecting them to the people (and science)
     Truly decentralized mobilisations
•   South-North conundrum
•      The overall approach on climate change has failed to really include the global South
•      Many activities planned e.g. across Africa which the North should be part of
•      Need to coordinate and build movement that is linked as a whole and use opportunities, not only link around activities
•      Natural strengthening point is development – e.g. action/2015, Oxfam

OUTCOMES FROM DISCUSSIONS - Next steps
•      Further search for frontline communities – mapping/amplifying of their initiatives
•      Prepare mapping tools to make visible and amplify

Reactions from the room
•      Should move away from the big international moments if we want a strong movement
•      How do international groups support the frontline communities, not the other way around
•      Lack of response from international networks when call to support for actions in Global South – need to strengthen support for those frontline communities
•      We should find ways to collaborate more on shaping common politics and common agenda towards COP21 and beyond, not just about activities
•      Recognize that yesterday, people in the room were predominantly from the North and this has shaped the discussions.
•      Many movements are concerned about demands around the SDGs and the narrative but not in the room to share
•      In the South, there are movements and there are demands. There should be a southern-led movement to amplify their demands for Paris and the SDGs
•      Need to explain what is action 2015/post-2015 process
•      Platform launched in January on poverty, inequality and CC in 130 countries
•      Collective and national campaigns
•      Assembly on 28th and 29th in Tunis – everybody is welcome
•      Trying to figure out how to coordinate across the movements as plans at the same time (May for example)

Working group 2. Mobilizations on first day and last day of the COP

OUTCOMES FROM DISCUSSIONS – Areas of alignment

We want:
•      To engage more and new people, move people up the ladder of engagement
•      Engage to show/reclaim our power
•      A unified « big tent » narrative under which our organisations’ messaging would fall under
•      Systemic change but need to work on what we mean by that

We don’t want
•      Governments unchallenged when they will claim success in Paris when there isn’t
•      Our mobilizations coopted by governments and UNFCCC
•      Good movements vs bad movements framing of our actions

OUTCOMES FROM DISCUSSIONS - Guidelines for last mobilizations

•   Diversity of expressions/menu of options from family friendly to shutting down stuff
•   Need for coherence and articulated framing that communicates to the outside world that we are more than the sum of
our parts
•   Symbolically show convergence towards the future, looking beyond Paris
•   Inclusiveness
•   Action/pieces of actions replicable everywhere

OUTCOMES FROM DISCUSSIONS - Suggested political compromises

•   No politicians, leaders putting their face on the 1st day of mobilizations
•   In the case of a menu of options, respect of more or less radical actions on last day mobilizations
•   Support and resource equity with respect to both dates/mobilizations

OUTCOMES FROM DISCUSSIONS - Suggested dates

•      Call for large scale mobilizations nov 28th/29th in capitals where national movements/coalitions can/want to
        About expressing people demands
        Is this just for Europe or globally?
•      Call for mass action(s) on December 12th that escalates
        Diversity of expressions/menu of options from family friendly to shutting down stuff?
        Need for coherence and articulated framing that communicates to the outside world that we are more than the sum of our parts?
        Symbolically show convergence towards the futurs, looking beyond Paris
        Show that people are meeting their own demands, what we’re for and against?
        Is Paris the centre of gravity?

OUTCOMES FROM DISCUSSIONS Suggested next steps by June

•   Develop idea(s) for last day mobilization(s)
•   Develop connected narrative for each day/both days
Agree to political compromise

Reactions from the room

•      Need to talk more about how to support global south/southern groups and channel resources to them ? suggestion is pool resources together
•      Should be about gobal mobilization in as many capital cities of the world as possible at the beginning, with strong people's demands. Make the case for these mobilizations to happen nationally to strengthen the movement
•       there will also be a massive mobilization on the 12th – what is it going to look like still needs to be defined, who is going to be part of it. And the message is we are all committed to the climate movement, all in it together and organisations that have the capacity to bring people will be the key organisers. Unclear yet whether it will be decentralized.
•      flood wall street following the PCM was great but it was very small and did not get enough media attention. Hopefully in Paris, we can get the people marching on the 1st day to participate in an action that is easy, that everyone can participate in at the end. Respecting different tactics but something big, simple, but also very powerful like a sit-in
•      The whole point is escalation so it can't be will do big in beginning and TRY to do something in the end. Does not have to be incredibly radical but has to be about escalation. Need agreement on that that all movement would come together under one banner with radical messaging
•      Agree that we need escalation and big moment at the end like non violent direct action. How do we include more people in that end moment, need to keep open the possibility for groups to engage differently – if some groups want to march, than they should as long as complementary.
•       march at the beginning will reenergize the people and people demand. Will need to go home and discuss whether it's possible to mobilize back home, discuss with partners ; need strong people demands
•      We haven't spoken about the other movements we need to include and involve – like cyber movements. Focus on trying to escalate. Need to focus on main causes like financial stakeholders, etc
•      What is the message at the end moment ? Need to discuss further
•      The questions for the WG were what are the dates, when are we calling people to Paris = pressing questions for the Working Group.
•      It is important that we build powerful national platforms with concrete people's demands
•      It is important it happens at every level. Which is why we came to the conclusion that we should have mass mobilisations in our own cities.
•      Other WG was looking at escalation, and there are ideas and people working on it ;
•      On the last day, we said it's important that the mobilization at the end is vibrant, massive, and escalates. So cannot be a few thousand people; Which is why this is the moment where we want to call people to come to Paris. We have an opportunity to flood the streets of Paris then. We now need to flesh out what kind of mobilization we're talking about.

CONCLUSIONS reached through consensus

•      Call for large-scale mobilizations November 28th/29th in capitals where national movements/coalitions can/want to. It’s about expressing people demands
•      Call for mass mobilizations in Paris on December 12th that escalates

Working group 3. Escalation of mobilization across both weeks

OUTCOMES FROM DISCUSSIONS –
•      The French coalition needs to work out what will happen during the 1st week as CSO space will only start on week 2 – currently, no plans for 1st week
•      Consensus on need to escalate throughout the two weeks
•      Focus on the 2nd week as that is the moment when most people and organisations are in Paris
•      Need to map out plans, who plans to come where, what kind of activities are they organizing. French groups will create the space but not do the organizing of everything
•      Need to work on the narrative and the story we want to tell through our actions, cannot just have a calendar of actions on the website

Reactions from the room
•      Will need a space to educate the public during the two weeks – which one? Daily newsletter, university?
•      Alternatiba village in the center of Paris – date to be determined. Most likely about middle weekend but final decision will be made end of April
•      French coalition not organising stuff over both weeks because we’re focusing on 2nd week right now and creating that CSO space. We want to create a space for international groups to co-organize, brainstorm and propose way forward
•      Need clearer guidelines for the survey to ensure we respond to it effectively

Working group 4. Overarching narrative

OUTCOMES FROM DISCUSSIONS – What is the narrative for and who for?

What is a narrative for ?
Could be…
•              To express the movement more broadly moving together to Paris and beyond (avoid Copenhagen-style cliff)
•              To get people to Paris for a mobilization
•              A counter narrative to the false solutions that may claim we can solve the climate crisis with: BAU + Geo-engineering
The groups was mostly talking about the first option…
Potential audiences…
•      Public, Networks/movements, Press
•      lots of options in play
Challenges…
◦      To learn from Copenhagen – don’t tell a lie that Paris will fix the climate (people were arrested in Copenhagen for this lie)
◦      To ensure the narrative speaks to southern perspectives and works to mobilise southern groups

OUTCOMES FROM DISCUSSIONS - Need more in the narratives on:
•      System change needs to be front and center
•      Southern voices
•      Adaptation and climate impacts now – urgency
•      Keeping fossil fuels in the ground
•      A just transition to 100% renewable energy
•      Climate change links to everything – gender, employment etc.

OUTCOMES FROM DISCUSSIONS
Areas of general support
•              Southern voices
•              Climate change is already happening, it’s a reality for farmers in the south. Solutions must involve support for people adapting to climate change.
•              People vulnerable to climate impacts are not victims, they are often innovative and driving solutions.
•              We need to support indigenous practices that often embody solutions to the climate crisis.
•              This issue is about people – people who are impacted, people who have solutions.
•              This is an issue of Northern historical responsibility, those that are most vulnerable have done the least to cause the problem – there is also inequality, injustice and elites in both North and South
System change
•      To tackle climate change we need systemic change, we need move away from economies that put profits and consumption before people and planet.
•      Climate change is an everything issue – encompasses a massive diversity of issues
Urgency
•              Highlight climate impacts on the ground to emphasise climate change is a real world issue, happening now.
•              Impacts on peoples lives now.
•              UNFCCC timeframe doesn’t reflect the real world.
•              Attack corporates and fossil fuel industry
•              Say no to false solutions and corporate climate criminals.
•              Fossil fuel companies are in league with governments – this is why COP doesn’t work, but there are alternatives.
•              Balance doom with a vision/hope
•              We are the powerful positive actors, we are life – fossil fuels are death
•              We still need to inspire people to join the movement, to feel that they can make a difference and provide a vision for the future.
•              This can build on the examples of people out there stopping fossil fuel projects and the people who are already living sustainable livelihoods (especially examples from the global south)
Paris
•      WE are the ones who will make Paris historic (not the COP outcome), because we are the movement and we have the solutions
•      Paris is a moment to build movements – show we are powerful and will fight into 2016 and beyond to solve the climate crisis
•      It takes roots to weather the storm (Climate Justice Alliance message for the Peoples’ Climate March in New York)
•      It’s does NOT start and end with Paris
•      Its NOT all about the US and China

Reactions from the room
•      In the just transition concept, it’s beyond the energy transition, it’s about ensuring we don’t replicate big corporate models. Big corporations are moving into RE and that’s not a model that we want, we would want community-controled energy
•      What kind of economic model do we want?
•      We need to bring in anti-nuke movements into the climate movement
•      Communities are experimenting, important to amplify these
•      Important to have strong southern presence in Paris – need people’s agenda grassroot solutions amplified (agroecology, etc), find real solutions on the ground, grassrooot vs. False solutions
•      True that people on the ground have the power and the solutions but at the same time we know Paris will be a failure – we need to use this power that we have to support those that are facing the impacts of a climate change they didn’t cause. As southern and northern movements, we need to practically tackle existing impacts of CC, not just focusing on the UNFCCC. How do we push northern governments to support these communities in the south, etc
•      Need to broaden the scope of false solutions, not only work on the energy-related ones. Also about false solutions in agriculture
•      Climate issues are not only hi-jacked by fossil fuel companies but also about other industrial vested interests
•      Willingness to add southern voices in the narrative, this is good. Need to take it a step further – what is the role of southern governments in all this? Which ones should we support and which ones should we tackle? Would be helpful to support some countries as a movement. Need to push countries to become champions in the negotiation
•      Good to see emphasis on frontline communities in the narrative. What needs to be developed further: what climate justice means from the point of view of frontline communities, needs to be more concrete.
•      Need to maximize different arenas for climate justice advocacy – should not focus only on international processes, challenging for the frontline communities to engage there. Need to create/build on more local and national spaces.
•      We should be very clear about what companies should be saying/doing on CC – too many false solutions, new technologies to keep on FF-based economy. We need to say this is not acceptable
•      Need to support a people’s protocol on what system change and climate justice entails. Cf People Surge initiative?)
•      Cso demanding system change are actually part of the system/doing Business as Usual = need to build our movement differently if we want it to be different and long term (?)
•      Not just about climate change, would like to see economic and environmental justice in there more strongly.
•      WE are the solutions – should be in there
•      Our narrative should be let’s stop a deal that will burn the planet. That’s what is going to happen in Paris, will be worst that what we have seen in the past. We should be stopping it from happening.
•      Importance of adaptation/resilience of frontline communities;
•      Paris may begin like New York and may well end like Seattle – may have to shut it down
•      Challenging to track nuances in the narrative because of linguistic problems
•      Nothing in the narrative on financing despite its crucial role in climate change. Same with military/armies – looking into how to adapt. We need to confront them, they are the heart of the system we are trying to change
•      Need to change and fight the international trade and investment legal systems (TTIP, WTO, etc)

Working group 5 – Plans for 2016 – Global and in Africa

OUTCOMES FROM DISCUSSIONS

Purpose
•      Grow the movement - engage more people on climate
•      Strengthen the movement – esp from grassroots in Africa
•      Plan on basis that Paris doesn’t deliver…

Themes
•              Focus on positive solutions
•              End fossil fuels
•              Challenge corporations and corporate power
•              Support key themes of mobilisation in Africa including food sovereignty, mining, shale gas, water
Moments
•              Create a moment for the movement in early 2016
•              Reconvene in Paris?
•              Spring moment (without direct political hook)
•              Morocco COP 22 – there is a platform / network bringing groups together.  Rabat meeting in May…
Next steps
•              Messaging of Paris critical  - start not the end
•              A number of groups (Moroccan, Regional African and International) bring a worked up 2016 proposal to Paris June 13/14 meeting for discussion
•              Idea of PACJA meeting to define 2016+ alongside June 13/14
Reactions from the room
·         2016 should not be Business As Usual, it should not be about COP22 but the COP1 of something different.
·         About dirty energy, not just fossil fuels
·         On focus on corporations, need to be stronger than bringing in good practises but challenging them overall

FINAL WORD / CONCLUSION

·         We are all here because we want to connect the dots, build a global movement. It's not just about Paris, use it as an opportunity to build stronger moment, powerful enough to win
·         We want to mobilize on the road to Paris and start something new.
·         Need our work this year to help win more battles in the future
·         Need to include and give a voice to those who are not in the room, those who are fighting climate change and for system change. It needs to be their movement, their moment, not the one of the international logos.

Annex 1
Call to action from Coalition Climat 21
Mobilizing collectively against climate change throughout 2015

To prepare for the United Nations conference on climate change in December 2015 in Paris, close to 100 civil society organisations have collectively founded the French platform « Coalition Climat 21 » to: build the pressure needed for ambitious and just climate action, and transformational and sustainable public policies.

Despite 20 years of international conferences on climate change, the international community has not yet addressed the global climate crisis. As it is more than ever urgent to tackly climate change, please join us in building mass mobilization and political momentum at the following key moments:

On May 30th and 31st, we will kick-start an international mobilization moment in June by calling out those responsible for climate change and call for the radical transformation of our development models through multiple actions, initiatives and demonstrations across France.

On September 26th and 27th, in Paris and cities across the country, and beyond, we will mobilize to support and showcase citizen-driven initiatives to address climate change and power the energy transition.

November 28th and 29th, just before negotiators head to COP21 in Paris, we will massively mobilize in the streets of Paris, major French cities – and, hopefully, big cities across the world - to make known our demands to Heads of State and government.

During the two weeks of the COP, there will be more and more actions blooming, particularly in Paris.

From December 6th onwards, a big space for convergence, debates and mobilization will be open to all those who want to take part in this citizen mobilization as well as contribute to alternative solutions to climate change.

On December 12th, at the close of the climate conference, we will take to the streets, particularly in Paris, to pave the way beyond the COP. We will make our voices heard: yes, civil society is united in the face of this major challenge for humanity and against those responsible for climate change: multinationals and governments. Our movement will keep growing after Paris!

Please connect with us online!
·         Website  www.coalitionclimat21.org
·          Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/climat21
·         Twitter: @climat21

Annex 2. Mobilization plans for 2015

April
May (1)
May (2)
June (1)
7-14 April: Week of Actions in La Villeneuve (Grenoble, France)
Apu-Planning
asso.planning at gresille.org
1st of May Climate Jobs Demonstration, Bayonne
30th - 31st of May: Reclaim the power week-end of action (UK)
Reclaim the Power
5th of June: Alternatibatandem bycicle tour « 5000km for the climate » starts in Bayonne
2nd half of April: Climate Resilient Village and Town - India Beyond Copenhagen Collective
soumyadutta_delhi at rediffmail.com
16th of May: Fair Pride – Paris
 Artisans du Monde
30th - 31st of May: National Forum - Coalition Maroc
13th of June: Rural Women mobilisation on the margin of the 25thAfrica Heads of States Summit in Johannesburg, South Africa – Solidarity actions across 13 countries /Mwanahamisi.singana at oxfaminternational.org
18th of April: Earth Day mobilisation in US – Concert in DC –
GPP, Action/2015
30th of May: “Velorution”, bike action for more buses in Bayonne
30th - 31st of May: Citizen pact “Against fossil fuels extraction – Citizens' commitment for promotion of alternatives”- Politicians Pact “Commitment for concrete alternatives” -Alternatiba
13th - 14th of June: Mobilization planning meeting in Paris
French Coalition and internationals
contact at coalitionclimat21
18th of April: Forum on Raw Materials – Lausanne, Switzerland Collectif suisse matières premières
Coordination Climat et Justice Sociale
30th of May: Climate Action at Geneva Lake – Switzerland;
Coordination Climat et Justice Sociale
30th - 31st of May: Release of Spanish
Climate Coalition Manifesto
maximoplo at gmail.com
17th of June :  Mass lobby of UK parliament on CC
UK Climate Coalition
18th of April: Global Day of Action Against TTIP Trade Deal
FOE and others 100 organisations
www.globaltradeday.org
30th - 31st of May: G7 push: TBD likely focus on finance or fossil Fuel subsidies
Avaaz
lain at avaaz.org
 Entire Month:  Climate Resilient Community in Uttanakland Himalaya, India; With BCPH and Delhi University
soumyadutta_delhi at rediffmail.com
18th of June: Live Earth Concerts
Climate Reality

30th-31st: 1000 initiatives blooming in France French Coalition
contact at coalitionclimat21.org
Entire month: Month of Action to tackle poverty, inequality and climate change / 30th of May = Climate Day
Mobilization by Action/2015info at action2015.org
27th - 28th:  Alternatiba in Marseille
contact at alternatibaioli.org

June (2)
July
August (1)
August (2)
September (1)
To be confirmed: DECLIC (Défis Climatiques et citoyenneté) – 6 countries (West Africa)ENDA/CANWA/RDC
4th of July: Alternatiba in Joigny Dans l'Yonne
5th - 6th of July :Alternatiba in Saint Quentin en Yvelines
Alternatiba tandem bycicles in Geneva
17th of August
International youth Day – Mobilisation on poverty / inequality and climate change
Action/2015
3 weeks in August: Rolling direct actions across North America
Rising Tide
skye.bougsty at gmail.com
5th of September
Concert in Paris
FNE
All month: Mobilisations “We decide” (« Décidons »)
Coalition Maroc
11th - 16th of July : Mobilisation around Financing for Development Conference
Action/2015
info at action2015.org
18th - 20th of August:Alternatiba Leman - Switzerland
All month
Series of events – Summer of our Power
GGJ/APEN/CJA
vivianh at apen4ej.org
24th - 25th of September : Vigils for the world we want : linking zero poverty and 100% renewables; Distributed action + NYC event - Faith and development groups / Avaaz
All month: Series of events – Summer of our PowerGGJ/APEN/CJA
vivianh at apen4ej.org
vivianh at apen4ej.org
August 29th- Katrina anniversary
All month: Public engagement with climate action plans
Beyond Copenhagen, India
soumyadutta-delhi at rediffmail.com
24th - 27th of September
Mobilisation before and around announcement of sustainable development goals at UNGA, in NYC and around the world – Action/2015
June 2015 ==> 2016
CIDSE campaign on sustainable lifestyles
martinelli at cidse.org
All month: Pilgrimages start walking in Scandinavia
NCA, COS
To be confirmed:
Cycling caravans start in Africa
ACT Alliance

26th - 27th of September
Massive Alternatiba in Paris
Alternatiba Tour arrival date in Paris
Summer 2015: More than 50 villages of Alternatives “Alternatiba” in Europe
Be the next!
July to November => Capacity Building with Youth in Brazil
Engajamundo
amanda at engajamundo.org
To be confirmed:
Occupying Rhineland

26th - 27th of September
Panel discussion in Marocco
Coalition Maroc

To be confirmed:
Climate Seminary in Marocco
Coalition Maroc

27th of August
Car-free day in Paris

September (2)
October
November
December (1)
December (2)
Tbc in September
Actions in Grenoble and la Villeneuve (France)
APU / PLANNING(asso-planning at gresille.org) Alternatiba Grenoble
9th - 10th of October
Reclaim Power
Reclaim Power partners
asad.rehman at foe.co.uk
10th of November: 20thanniversary of murder of Ogoni Nine / second anniversary of Typhoon Huyain – Global mobilisation on impacted people
Oilwatch / ERA / FOE
Mid November – Early December
Ecumenical Pilgrimage
Germany – UK – France – Norway – Italy, etc.Ecumenical group: CCFD / Christian Aid/CIDSE / ACT Alliance
During the COP21
Blue Pavilion
Consortium of organisationsFrance Libertés
Tbc 20th of September
Ecological Fair (educational)
Coalicion Clima Espana
mdemauriel at gmail.com
11th of October
Alternatiba Garazi
15th - 16th of November: Global distributed actions against fossil fuel subsidies
Avaaz iain at avaaz.org
4th of December
Pinocchio awards
FOE / CRID / Peuples Solidaires
ActionAid
End of the COP21
FOE action

16th of October: World Food Day Mobilizing food producers and consumer in the continent (Africa) – potentially big offline moment in moe than 13 countries – Our food is the context of changing climate / Food and climate justice
Mwanahamisi.singana at oxfaminternational.org
18th of November
Decentralized Actions in Switzerland (Geneva, Berne, Zürich, etc.)
Coordination Climat et Justice Sociale
12th of December
Symbolical Action - Geneva
Coordination Climat et Justice Sociale
Tbc December
Climate Change University
Consortium of organisations

16th of October: Food and TTIP – Peoples demands on food, mobilising moments. DCJ and FOEI
asad.rehman at foe.co.uk
25th - 27th of November
Conference of the Youth
WARN
During the COP21
Shut down corporate false solutions event « Solutions COP21 »
pascoe at corporateeurope.org
Tbc December
Global Village of Alternatives
Alternatiba

24th of October
Alternatiba Bilbao
Tbc 28th - 29th(depending on national elections date)
During the COP21
Climate Games
Tbc December
Ecumenical Pilgrimage - final event, delivery of petitions
Ecumenical group
CCFD / Christian Aid / CIDSE / ACT Alliance

All month- Rolling direct actions across North America - Rising Tide
skye.bougsty at gmail.com

jai.sen at cacim.net / jai at openword.in
www.cacim.net / http://www.openword.in
Now based in Ottawa, Canada (+1-613-282 2900), and New Delhi, India (+91-98189 11325)
RECENT PUBLICATIONS :
Jai Sen, ed, 2013 – The Movements of Movements : Struggles for Other Worlds, Part I. Volume 4 Part I in the Challenging Empires series. New Delhi : OpenWord.  Available @ http://www.into-ebooks.com/book/the_movements_of_movements/
FORTHCOMING PUBLICATIONS  :
Jai Sen and Peter Waterman, eds, forthcoming (2015) – The Movements of Movements : Struggles for Other Worlds, Part 2. Volume 4 Part II in the Challenging Empires series.  New Delhi : OpenWord
CHECK OUT CACIM @ www.cacim.net, OpenWord @ http://www.openword.in, and OpenSpaceForum @ www.openspaceforum.net
AND SUBSCRIBE TO WSFDiscuss, an open and unmoderated forum for the exchange of information and views on the experience, practice, and theory of social and political movement at any level (local, national, regional, and global), including the World Social Forum.  To subscribe, simply send an empty email to worldsocialforum-discuss-subscribe at openspaceforum.net