[WSF-Discuss] Fw: World Social Forum: Where is the Struggle Against Capitalism?

peter waterman peterwaterman1936 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 09:24:10 CDT 2015

I am not sure how deep this journalistic piece goes.

Moreover, I am ... err ... curious about this account of the Birth of the
WSF:

Egyptian writer and political activist Houssein Abdel Rahim has followed
the WSF from its inception.

'Everything began with the groundwork for the social movements in Brussels.
At that time there was a union crisis. So Christophe Aguiton began to
connect people with one another and to organize exchanges between
activists. The following year, the communist party in Brazil attended the
international Communist Manifesto celebration and requested the help of
European leftists in the coming elections in Brazil. It was then that
organizations decided to go to Porto-Alegre to create the Forum. The
Brazilian Communist Party (UPT) won the elections and turned its focus to
political power, but the WSF continued to gather each year. All of this to
say that nothing changes as easily as one might imagine. The WSF has
suffered from political manipulation since its inception'.

I have never read such an account before! I do not recall Christophe
himself making such a claim, there seems to be some confusion between the
Brazilian Communist Party and the Brazilian Workers Party, and in so far as
'manipulation' means handling (though here with a pejorative intention),
well, I would like to know its content and implications.

So, it seems to me that Houssein Abdel Rahim needs, perhaps, to read any
one of a dozen good monographs or compilations about the WSF, as well as
'following it'.

Finally, there may be some truth in the author's perceptions, but the
account remains impressionistic and the case made would require more than
what is here presented.

PeterW

   1. 2014. From Coldwar Communism to the Global Justice Movement:
   Itinerary of a Long-Distance Internationalist.
   <http://snuproject.wordpress.com/2015/01/02/1987-e-reader-ed-by-peter-waterman-on-labour-social-movements-and-internationalism-the-old-internationalism-and-the-new/>http://www.into-ebooks.com/book/from_coldwar_communism
   _to_the_global_emancipatory_movement/
   <http://www.into-ebooks.com/book/from_coldwar_communism_to_the_global_emancipatory_movement/>
(Free).

   2. 2014. Interface Journal Special (Co-Editor), December 2014. 'Social
   Movement Internationalisms'. (Free).
   <http://www.interfacejournal.net/current/>
* <http://www.interfacejournal.net/current/>*
   3. 2014. 'The Networked Internationalism of Labour's Others', in Jai Sen
   (ed), Peter Waterman (co-ed), The Movement of Movements:
   <http://www.into-ebooks.com/book/the_movements_of_movements/>Struggles
   for Other Worlds  (Part I).
   <http://www.into-ebooks.com/book/the_movements_of_movements/> (10 Euros).
4. 2012. EBook: Recovering Internationalism
   <http://www.into-ebooks.com/book/recovering_internationalism/>.  [A
   compilation of papers from the new millenium. Now free in two download
   formats]
   5. 2013. EBook (co-editor), February 2013: World Social Forum: Critical
   Explorations http://www.into-ebooks.com/book/world_social_forum/
   6. 2012. Interface Journal Special (co-editor), November 2012: *For the
   Global Emancipation of Labour  <http://www.interfacejournal.net/current/>*
   7. 2005-?
   <http://interfacejournal.nuim.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Interface-1-2-pp255-262-Waterman.pdf>
   Ongoing. Blog: http://www.unionbook.org/profile/peterwaterman.???. Needed:
   a Global Labour Charter Movement (2005-Now!)
   <http://interfacejournal.nuim.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Interface-1-2-pp255-262-Waterman.pdf>
   8. 2011. Under, Against, Beyond: Labour and Social Movements Confront a
   Globalised, Informatised Capitalism
   <http://www.into-ebooks.com/book/under-against-beyond/>(2011) (c. 1,000
   pages of Working Papers, free, from the 1980's-90's).