[WSF-Discuss] Tunis Meeting On Climate Mobilizations And Strategies (contact at coalitionclimat21.org) - But… where is Mother Earth ?

Jai Sen jai.sen at cacim.net
Sun Apr 5 12:04:40 CDT 2015

Sunday, April 5 2015

Greetings all !

            This is first to thank you warmly, Tom and Tord, for your detailed responses to my post on what I thought was ‘the’ report from Tunis on planned climate justice actions.  And Tom, to join Roxane in saying that I do hope that you and other warriors who will be in Paris can indeed dance the dance.  But also to say that yes, Tord, I’d be the happiest if it turns out that I got things wrong in my covering note, and if things turn out the way you have suggested in your rich notes / reports on the Tunis deliberations.

As I said in my post, I wasn't in Tunis, and there seem to have been plenty of meetings that went on, and so it could be well be that I misunderstood which meeting was about what.  But, and to be absolutely frank, I just assumed that since it was Patrick Bond who posted that report on another list – Debate -, and since I know he’s so deeply involved with the climate justice movement, that that was the ‘main’ report on climate actions coming out of Tunis and towards Paris (and beyond).

But - and forgive me for pressing this point - to my reading that report was absolutely devoid of any of the concepts that you mention Tord, whether buen vivir or swaraj, and not just in terms of words but of spirit - and also, as I said, in terms of the logic of presentation and strategisation.  It was (and to my mind remains, when I re-visit it) so very Euro / North Atlantic, and while enthusiastic, also almost Fordist in its being.  And so I can only hope that there will indeed be something else that will emerge from Tunis, as your report suggests, that will eclipse this tunnel vision and open up the space to one where many worlds fit; and in particular where ‘we’ will re-assert and celebrate our relationship with Mother Earth.  To me, this is fundamental.

Thanks though for your careful but frank assessment about the challenges for making this happen Tom – which to be frank, I think you are more likely to sense than Tord -, and for your militant assertion about what you and others plan to do in Paris, and for your strong intervention in this regard, Ariel.  I agree totally !

Let me however also clarify what I said is not at all to suggest that ‘the south’ always has it right, or that we in India for instance – in the north within the south, as I said, and where this all too often includes groups that seem organically rooted until you look a little deeper – do not ever reproduce this same linear culture.  As I understand it, this is all a part of colonisation and of the internalisation of colonisation, and of globalisation and the emergence of a global North, and where I anyway believe that those who imagine and believe they belong to ‘civil society’ consciously or subconciously play a leading role in this, as they have done throughout history; and that we all need to struggle with ourselves to keep free of this.

Tord, one small clarification : In your first post you said “Jai is also wrong in claiming that spiritual concept comes from indigenous peoples.”  Can I take it that you meant “that spiritual concept only comes from indigenous peoples” ??  Right ?  I do hope so !!  Otherwise I do have problems with you… !

(Just for the record, I am using this post of mine to turn this discussion back on to the thread where this exchange started, and I am also again copying in all those who I copied in the first time so that they / you can all see the rich exchange that is taking place on this subject – and join in, even now.  What happened was that Ariel, you for some reason posted your response on another thread – about the land rights movement in India – and so where Tord also did that.  But aside from that exchange then being on the ‘wrong' thread and a little unrelated to the original post there (though not completely !), this also means that the ‘community’ I had tried to create for this discussion has got lost.  So.)

Jai