[WSF-Discuss] The Internet Social Forum and Is There a Global Internet Community?

jasper teunissen jasperteunissen at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 10 06:59:11 CDT 2015

http://www.alainet.org/en/articulo/168669

Also see:
A Social Forum to build a people’s Internet
http://www.alainet.org/en/articulo/168670

  Tunis Call for a People's Internet

Consensus document <http://www.alainet.org/en/autores/consensus-document>

02/04/2015

We, participants of the Workshop “Organising an Internet Social Forum –
A Call to Occupy the Internet”, held in Tunis as part of the World
Social Forum, declare our commitment to a common goal of building a
people’s Internet from below and beyond borders: an Internet that works
in the public interest and solidarity, where control is in the hands of
people; an Internet based on human dignity, equality, social justice,
freedom and people's communication rights.

We join our voices to the Call to hold a global Internet Social Forum as
a space to debate the Internet we want and how to build it, before the
knowledge and access-to-information revolution is irretrievably captured
by corporate interests and security agencies that will deepen the nexus
of corruption between politics and money.

The Internet today has become an integral and essential part of our
daily lives; more and more of our activities are organized through and
around the virtual spaces, the networks, online services and the
technology it comprises. It has restructured the very way in which we
live, work, play and organize our societies. In many aspects, this is so
even for people who at present have no direct Internet access.

At the same time, we are alarmed to see how both our private and public
spaces are being co-opted and controlled for private gain; how private
corporations are carving the public Internet into walled spaces; how our
personal data is being manipulated and proprietised; how a global
surveillance society is emerging, with little or no privacy; how
information on the Internet is being arbitrarily censored, and people's
right to communicate curtailed; and, how the Internet is being
militarised. Meanwhile, decision-making on public policy matters
relating to the Internet remains dangerously removed from the mechanisms
of democratic governance.

We hereby launch a call to all those who share these goals to
participate in drafting a People’s Internet Manifesto over the coming
months, with the goal of seeking consensus on the basic principles that
must underpin an Internet oriented to social equity, human solidarity
and justice.

The Internet is an indispensable tool and workspace for building social
struggles and interconnections among movements. We call on social
movements and organizations gathered here in Tunis to take on this issue
as an essential part of their action agendas, including, among others,
the following goals:

We demand decisive action to curb the indiscriminate mass surveillance
being implemented by corporations, security agencies and governments.

We defend decentralization --to the greatest extent possible-- of the
Internet's technical, data and economic structures; and access to a
net-neutral Internet, as a right, which would include support for
community-owned networks and public infrastructure. We also defend the
freedom of people-to-people communication.

We are committed to harnessing the Internet revolution to build global
solidarity among people's movements, and enable them to share their
experiences globally and learn from one another.

A people's Internet must be driven first and foremost by the people.  An
Internet driven by big business, hand-in-hand with big government does
not represent the public interest.  We will defend the right of
grassroots organizations and social movements, alongside other civil
society actors, to have a seat at any global negotiations on the
governance of the Internet.

- Document presented as a consensus of the workshop /Organising an
Internet Social Forum – A Call to Occupy the Internet/, WSF 2015, Tunis,
March 26.