[WSF-Discuss] to discuss

Jai Sen jai.sen at cacim.net
Fri Apr 24 02:51:30 CDT 2015

Friday, April 24 2015

Dear Roberto

            Thanks for reminding me (and I hope also, all of us) of this - that there is a creeping debate taking shape -, and for trying to get this debate onto the table.

            In response, and as you may or may not know, I am not someone who avoids debate !, and I certainly agree with you that the future of the IC (International Council, for those not familiar with WSFese) and for that matter, of the WSF as a whole is something that should be discussed, critically (meaning not ‘criticism’ for criticism’s sake but carefully, and going into the subject in depth).  Among other reasons, and if for no other reason than this, that – as you say – it is 15 years old, but also because, as you say, because some / many people at least, who have been involved with the WSF for a long time, are frustrated with it.

(Again, you may or may not know but we at CACIM organised major meetings on broadly this issue at several Forums in a row – in Belem 2009, in Detroit (at the US Social Forum) in 2010, in Dakar in 2011, and also in Malmo (at the ESF in 2008); see http://www.cacim.net/twiki/tiki-index.php?page=CACIMHome.  And I've also been involved with editing and publishing books – collections of articles – that critically discuss the WSF… the last being World Social Forum : Critical Explorations in 2012-3).

            But while we cite this and should of course be aware of this creeping frustration, which I totally agree is very real, I’m sure you agree that we must also keep in mind, and bring into the discussion, the fact that there are also many people out there who feel that despite its shortcomings, the WSF is also still serving very important purposes, including being a crucible for the emergence and advance of movement; for instance, Tord Björk’s very interesting reflections on the Tunis Forum in his post on April 16, ‘228 links on WSF 2015’ – which is a radically different take from Mimoun Rahmani’s.

            (Just for your and everyone’s information, just to sort of converge these two threads, although I am ‘replying’ here on your original thread ‘to discuss’, I have also copied and pasted in below your comment on the separate thread coming out of Mimoun’s article being posted.)

             So yes, definitely, I would very much like to see a debate on them, and both as list admin and as someone who has been involved with raising critical discussion on the WSF since I got involved, would be happy if some of that anyway, could take place right here on WSFDiscuss !!  And so would like to here invite everyone on at least WSFDiscuss who has been involved with the Forum (and also those who have not) to come in on this !

And where Roberto, I would like to ask you if you would like to invite others on this list if they would like to also contribute with articles that you can publish on The Other News – and so where we could thereby broaden, and deepen, the debate ?

            As a contribution to this debate, let me just briefly respond to / comment on your points in response to my last post.

            You’ve started by saying “well, I do not see where we disagree.”  Well, I agree that it would seem that we mostly agree, but I think you have missed / not grasped my central point in my last intervention on this thread – and I don't know where you stand on this.  Please respond.  In short, my point is that when discussing the IC and its future, let’s please remember that the IC is NOT the only way in which ‘the WSF’ relates to the larger world around it – and let’s please therefore not have the discussion as if this is the case.

I tried to argue that in many senses, and at many levels, the WSF is (or seems to be) alive and well, and is continuing to grow and take shape in different places – and that crucially, this taking shape in different places is itself also an engagement with the larger world around it.  We may not all necessarily agree with what a given local or regional manifestation does, or how it relates to the world around it – but this is not the point; the point is that every one of these encounters with the larger reality is the WSF relating to - and contributing to – the larger reality around it.  And given that the WSF is now taking place in quite a few locations – I read somewhere recently that some 10-20 major WSF-related meetings still take place around the world each year – we need to read and recognise this.  Do you see what I mean ?

(For anyone interested in reading further on the enormous significance of this ‘everyday’ encounter with the world around us, and how this literally ‘builds the world’, please take a look at the amazing book by André C Drainville, A History of World Order and Resistance : The making and unmaking of global subjects (London and New York : Routledge, 2012).)

My sense is that if we take this into account – and where doing this back in, say, 2005, made little sense, and even perhaps in 2010, because there was much less happening then – then it will radically reframe the debate around the IC, what an IC should be and do, etc.  Among other things of course, the representatives of all such national and regional Fora should automatically be members of the IC or whatever it comes to be called, and – in my book anyway – a lot of what ‘the IC’ would then do is to talk about how to interconnect these local, national, and regional initiatives and thereby ‘grow’ the Forum organically.  But where this is of course up to those who are there.

As for your suggestion that the status of the IC should be “downgraded”, well maybe, and probably yes - in the sense that it somehow came to have a somewhat exalted status, and this – and membership of this - should never have been allowed to happen.   But where this, as I’ve tried to write about, is a very normal trapping of what happens when people come together to manage a ‘successful’ enterprise; they start to think that they are responsible for the success (whereas they are not), and to associate that with power.  But yes, I agree that it should be downgraded and become more of a coordinating body – but say again here that it should definitely not be given the exclusive right to ‘speak to and about the outside world’.  This it should share with national and regional bodies, whose work and contributions need to be much more seriously recognised.

But enough from me.   Please yes, let's debate all this !

Jai