[WSF-Discuss] Fwd: Attack in Tunis - WSF news ? / Attaque à Tunis - nouvelles FSM ?

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Wed Mar 18 23:31:11 CDT 2015

And most importantly, there appears to be no connection in terms of WSF
timing. From news reports, there are suggestions of rising tensions with
Islamic extremists in Tunis. And the expansion of ISIS into Libya
proceeds. From what I can gather, there is no argument anywhere that
this attack was associated with any intimidation against the WSF.

I'm buying my ticket to Tunis as soon as the Durban travel agent opens
this morning; see you there, comrades.

Patrick
PS, an excellent statement from the leading radicals I know in the US:

Grassroots Global Justice Alliance
<https://ggj.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4787&qid=345424>
	Stay Connected
Donate
<https://ggj.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4788&qid=345424>
	facebook
<https://ggj.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4789&qid=345424>
	twitter
<https://ggj.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4790&qid=345424>
	youtube
<https://ggj.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4791&qid=345424>

TUNISIA   |   March 18, 2015

<https://ggj.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4792&qid=345424>

*Another World is Possible, A United Movement is Necessary*

Today in Tunis, Tunisia, the site of the upcoming World Social Forum
(WSF) 2015
<https://ggj.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4793&qid=345424>
from March 24-28, a horrific situation unfolded in the Bardo Museum,
nearby the Parliament building, in which an estimated 21 people
(tourists, tunisians and gunmen) were killed, and 38 wounded. According
to Al Jazeera, authorities in Tunisia are saying the attack is over. We
want to express our sincere condolences to the victims of this attack
and their loved ones.

Our ally Souha Ben Othman from the Tunisian Association of Democratic
Women shared with us this morning:

    /"We are mourning today, this is a sad day for Tunisia.  Our
    recommendation is to not panic. The police have stopped the attack,
    it is over.  It was a horrific attack, but the unfortunate reality
    is that this could have happened in Washington DC or Paris. There
    were 19 victims, and nobody has claimed the attack yet. There will
    be a plan for security and protection at the World Social Forum,
    most likely there will be more police presence.  We hope that this
    will not impact people's participation in the Social Forum."/

The WSF Local Organizing Committee in Tunis said in a statement released
today:

    /"Through this attack, terrorist groups attempted to undermine the
    democratic transition Tunisia and the region are currently
    experiencing while creating a climate of fear amongst citizens who
    aspire to freedom, democracy and pacific participation in
    establishing democracy... The social movement in Tunisia and the
    region counts on the global support of democratic forces to oppose
    violence and terrorism. More than ever, the massive participation to
    the WSF (Tunis 24th-28th March 2015) will be the appropriate answer
    from all the peace and democratic forces towards a better, more fair
    and free world made of pacific co-existence."/

In an era of extreme anti-Arab racism and Islamophobia, it is important
to underscore that attacks like this are not limited to any one city or
region of the world.  They have happened in Oklahoma, in Boston, in
Paris.  While this horrific attack has shaken us all, it's crucial in
this moment that we not criminalize the people of Tunisia.  Communities
of color in the US, particularly Arab and Muslim communities, know first
hand the xenophobic backlash that comes following a terrorist attack.
Black and brown communities in the US and around the globe know first
hand the discriminatory and racialized impact of increased policing,
surveillance, and militarization that often follows such tragedies.  In
times like this it is most important that we stick together, support one
another, mourn the loss of innocent lives and at the same time not let
it stop our organizing for a better world.

Grassroots internationalism calls for our solidarity.  We stand with the
people of Tunisia who are calling on the international community to
deepen our commitment to this year's social forum as a gathering of
humanitarian strength and support. The World Social Forum process helps
protect and advance the gains made by the women, student, worker, civil
society movements and is a uniting force for social movements around the
world.  What we need right now is a united global movement that will not
only support a democratic transition in Tunisia, but also a just
transition to a better global economy.

For the past ten years, Grassroots Global Justice Alliance (GGJ) has
been building a movement based on feminist grassroots internationalism.
  The inspiration that our members felt at the World Social Forum in
2003 was part of what led to our founding in 2005, and this year we are
organizing a delegation of 19 people to Tunisia for the World Social
Forum 2015
<https://ggj.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4794&qid=345424>.
Our delegates represent the grassroots organizing sector in the US, from
organizations fighting for climate & environmental justice, gender
justice, indigenous rights, an end to war, and an economy that is better
for people and the planet.

After speaking with our allies on the ground in Tunis and the region and
assessing the situation, we reaffirm our commitment to join the over
70,000 people who are planning to attend the World Social Forum next
week in Tunis, Tunisia.  We will continue to monitor the situation
closely, stay in close contact with our allies in Tunis, and take all
safety precautions that we can to ensure a successful delegation and to
join movements from around the world calling for peace and democracy.

*Another World is Possible, A United Movement is Necessary*

In Solidarity,

Grassroots Global Justice Alliance (GGJ)