[WSF-Discuss] Fwd: Advance information sheet

Jai Sen jai.sen at cacim.net
Tue Mar 24 00:45:16 CDT 2015

Tuesday, March 24 2015
Worlds in movement, worlds of movement…
Women in movement…. :
(I think that there are many on this list who would like to know about this amazing person  – and read this book.)

Announcing :

C A L L   M E   W O M A N
Sathyavathi
Confronting Caste, Class & Gender
Vasanth Kannabiran

            JS

fwd
Begin forwarded message:

> From: Women Unlimited <womenunltd at gmail.com>
> Subject: Advance information sheet
> Date: March 19, 2015 at 4:43:10 PM GMT+5:30
> To: <indu.chandrasekhar at gmail.com>, <indu_chandrasekhar at yahoo.co.in>, <indupragya at gmail.com>, <insafdelhi at gmail.com>, <inger.agger at gmail.com>, <ipd.alternatives at gmail.com>, <ipda.office at gmail.com>, <ipda-alt-publishing at yahoogroups.com>, <irapande51 at gmail.com >, <iraraja at gmail.com>, <weaver at mango.zw>, <Irma.Harmsen at oxfamnovib.nl>, <ittya at austin.utexas.edu>, <itty123 at gmail.com>

C A L L   M E   W O M A N

Sathyavathi
Confronting Caste, Class & Gender

Vasanth Kannabiran

I have the satisfaction of knowing that whatever I longed for—a full meal, an education, a roof over my head, self-respect—I have been able to bring all that within the reach of many of my people.

Sathyavathi captures the struggle of a Dalit woman in Telengana to survive and acquire an education in the face of overwhelming odds—grinding poverty, discrimination, violence. Her determination to go back to work for her community, her hard-won success, despite lack of political backing, and the hostility and intolerance she faced are testimony to the triumph of the human spirit. Without a trace of self-pity or rancour she recalls her life with dispassionate clarity and an irony that are exceptional.

SATHYAVATHI is one among countless Dalit women in Telengana who battled starvation and discrimination for an education that she knew would change her life. She set up her own organisation, Rural Awareness and Development Society, committed to fighting for Dalits, minor girls, women and tribals. She was awarded the Resourceful Women Award of Merit from the Shaler Adams Foundation in 1994 and Swara Veda Charity—Spirit of Life Award of Appreciation by the NTR Memorial Trust in 2011.

VASANTH KANNABIRAN is a renowned feminist writer and founding member of Asmita Resource Centre for Women. She has written extensively on the political dimensions of gender. She has also written and produced four ballets, Menakaa, Peace on Earth, Ahalya and Gandhari. Her next, Rajasimha, is forthcoming. She is the author of A Grief to Bury: Memories of Love, Work & Loss (2011).
Rs. 175            Pb                    pp. 124                        ISBN: 978-81-88965-90-8                              All rights available

Women Unlimited
(an associate of Kali for Women)
7/10, FF, Sarvapriya Vihar
New Delhi - 110016
Tel: 011-26866596/ 26524129
Email: womenunltd at gmail.com
Website: www.womenunlimited.net
jai.sen at cacim.net / jai at openword.in
www.cacim.net / http://www.openword.in
Now based in Ottawa, Canada (+1-613-282 2900), and New Delhi, India (+91-98189 11325)
RECENT PUBLICATIONS :
Jai Sen, ed, 2013 – The Movements of Movements : Struggles for Other Worlds, Part I. Volume 4 Part I in the Challenging Empires series. New Delhi : OpenWord.  Available @ http://www.into-ebooks.com/book/the_movements_of_movements/
FORTHCOMING PUBLICATIONS  :
Jai Sen and Peter Waterman, eds, forthcoming (2015) – The Movements of Movements : Struggles for Other Worlds, Part 2. Volume 4 Part II in the Challenging Empires series.  New Delhi : OpenWord
CHECK OUT CACIM @ www.cacim.net, OpenWord @ http://www.openword.in, and OpenSpaceForum @ www.openspaceforum.net
AND SUBSCRIBE TO WSFDiscuss, an open and unmoderated forum for the exchange of information and views on the experience, practice, and theory of social and political movement at any level (local, national, regional, and global), including the World Social Forum.  To subscribe, simply send an empty email to worldsocialforum-discuss-subscribe at openspaceforum.net