[WSF-Discuss] Citizens Forum for Civil Liberties (CFCL) Briefing Paper - Biometric ‘Aadhaar’, a Made in USA product; and Jean Drèze - The Aadhaar coup

gopal krishna 1715krishna at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 00:18:38 CDT 2016

Gopal Krishna
ToxicsWatch Allian

*Statement from Dr M.Vijayanunni, ex-Chief Secretary, Government of Kerala
& Registrar General of India & Census Commissioner on Biometric Aadhaar
Number *

British prime minister Cameron came to office at the last general elections
on the back of his promise to undo the ID number system introduced by the
then government and he promptly kept his election promise by dismantling
the ID machinery already in place. He further ensured the deletion of all
the stored data on citizens in the national data storage so that no future
government will be able to use or misuse it to spy on the citizens for any
purpose. He won universal praise and a place in history by this historic
step.

China, which is the other country in the world comparable to India in terms
of size and diversity of population, abandoned its universal ID system
midway in the face of insurmountable problems encountered during its
implementation, despite the supposed advantage of their totalitarian system
in pushing through such a humongous but ill-advised project.

While the USA has the social security number for all residents, it does not
intrude into the privacy of the individuals and is so liberally implemented
that it does not block or stand in the way of getting any deserved benefits
from the state or from availing of any services from other agencies.

As usual in other state matters, India's immediate neighbours, Pakistan,
Bangladesh and Nepal might be sucked into the vortex of the precedent set
by India and end up in the same inextricable difficulties in the
implementation of the universal ID. This has been their experience in other
ventures in copying India like in the never-ending constitution-framing
experience in Nepal, the secular declaration in theocratic Bangladesh, the
Hindu civil law in Pakistan etc.

The government's attraction to the project is the supposed reduction
achieved in disbursal of subsidies through avoidance of duplicate and bogus
claims. This has to be achieved through other administrative modalities in
each individual scheme rather than by steamrolling it through an uncaring
denial of thousands of claims based merely on faults in the biometric and
data retrieval systems.

The real pressure for continuance of the scheme will be from the police and
secret surveillance systems to pry into the privacy of everyone which gives
them unlimited powers over the lives of helpless individuals and enjoy
unchallenged supremacy in the days to come. That will sound the death-knell
of freedom and democracy.

There have been umpteen complaints from the affected citizens in the actual
collection and collation of the biometric and personal data in the field so
far and the project is engulfed in the tears and curses of lakhs of people
of all social strata up against the uncaring ways of the officials doing
the aadhaar exercise. It is pulling wool over one's eyes if it were to be
claimed that it has been perfectly implemented so far.

Ph: 04712340041, E-mail: mvijayanunni at gmail.com

------

Gopal Krishna, Citizens Forum for Civil Liberties (CFCL), Mb: 09818089660,
08227816731, E-mail-1715krishna at gmail.com

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to
escape finding
oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius, *Meditations

"We may admire what he does, but we despise what he is."-referring to
humans who act mechanically on instructions
-------Wilhelm von Humboldt, 1792