[WSF-Discuss] Birth Anniversary of Jotirao Phule

Umakant uk4in at yahoo.co.in
Mon Apr 11 07:03:46 CDT 2016

DearFriendsGreetings!April 11 is celebrated as Birth Anniversary of Social Revolutionary JotiraoPhule (more popularly known as Jotiba Phule). Attached here with this mail youcould read an old article by Prof. Gail Omvedt. You could also read more aboutJotiba Phule on the hyperlink mentioned below.  Jotirao Phuleand the Ideology of Social Revolution in IndiaGailOmvedt, Economic and Political Weekly, September 11, 1971  It is one of the tragic dilemmas of the colonialsituation that the national revolution and the social revolution in a colonialsociety tend to develop apart from one another. Jotirao Phule represented avery different set of interests and a very different outlook on India from allthe upper caste elite thinkers of the so-called Indian Renaissance who havedominated the awareness of both Indian and foreign intellectuals.  The elite expressed an ideology of what may bedescribed as the "national revolution it was the nationalism of a classcombining bourgeois and high caste traditions. Phule represented the ideologyof the social revolution in its earliest form, with a peasant and anti-casteoutlook, Phule's thought represented the fulfilment of the renaissance desirefor social transformation along revolutionary lines. He, and not the laterelite thinkers, from Ranade through Tilak, should be seen as the primaryrenaissance figure.  Any culture rests upon a class society and thedominance of a particular class. In India, Hindu culture and the caste systemrested upon Brahmanism; hence Phule linked his thought with a movement of oppositionto the Brahman elite. "Non-Brahmartism", therefore, represerited notsimply communalism or a result of British divide-and-rule policies; itrepresented the first expression of social revolution. Phule, it is true, failed to provide economicanalysis or political organisation appropriate for this struggle. But he had aclear vision of the need for and the basis of a liberation movement.  ---------------------------------  Readmore about Jotiba Phule    With Regards and in Solidarity Umakant, Ph. D New Delhi

  My final words of advice to you are educate, agitate and organize; have faith in yourself. With justice on our side I do not see how we can lose our battle. The battle to me is a matter of joy. The battle is in the fullest sense spiritual. There is nothing material or social in it. For ours is a battle not for wealth or for power. It is battle for freedom. It is the battle of reclamation of human personality.
B.R.Ambedkar