[WSF-Discuss] MA in activism at Maynooth (Ireland)

Laurence Cox Laurence.Cox at nuim.ie
Mon Apr 11 07:23:10 CDT 2016

Hi,

This might be of interest to some listmembers or people you know: the
Maynooth MA in activism is now taking applications for this autumn (details
attached and below). Please circulate to anyone you think might be
interested.

Thanks a lot!

Laurence

       MA CEESA - a masterclass in changing the world

rte.ie pic.jpg

Around the world today, movements and communities are making history - or
trying to.  Austerity is being challenged across Europe.  Elsewhere massive
popular movements are challenging the powerful:  from Latin America and Hong
Kong to Turkey and US cities. In Ireland, struggles around water charges,
fracking, abortion rights and direct provision are shaking the old
certainties that "there is no alternative" to neoliberalism, that being
co-opted by  state institutions is the only game in town, that communities
are powerless, that we are condemned to an endless rerun of the same party
politics.

The need for change is huge and the outcome is still all to play for. We see
seemingly unstoppable movements squashed - and seemingly hopeless ideas
winning against all the odds. Movements seem to come out of nowhere and
shake the powers that be - but then it can be hard to see a way forward.
What makes the difference, and how can our movements really change the
world?

Are you

-        Active in political and social justice struggles?

-        Committed to community activism but frustrated by the co-option of
the sector?

-        Fighting to preserve radical education in a seemingly cold
environment?

-        Politically minded but don't know how to turn that into an
effective and radical practice?

-        Involved in NGO or trade union activism but feel constrained by
structures?

-        Committed to a more equal and just society but unsure how to build
on this commitment?

-        Interested in spending a year with experienced activists and
community educators?

The Masters in Community Education, Equality and Social Activism (CEESA) at
Maynooth responds to the crisis as we learn from each other's struggles in
dialogue between different movements, different communities and different
generations. The course is not tied to any single movement and participants
come from many different communities and countries. Some are experienced
activists who want to go back to education; others are people who are just
getting involved in movements. This lively mixture of ages, backgrounds,
experiences and questions is an integral part of what makes the course so
rewarding. Together we are building a diverse network of movement activists,
radical educators and campaigners for equality and creating new alliances
for change. See the video at http://tinyurl.com/ceesavideo

The course team are experienced practitioners and engaged researchers
working on equality, radical education and movement struggles. The course
combines political strategy, bottom-up organising methods and social
analysis with a wide range of learning and research approaches.  Its focus
is on "useful" knowledge for change and encompasses a practical but radical
look at the issues facing movements today. We don't just learn within the
classroom: we organise joint events with a huge range of community groups
and social movements in Ireland as well as running events with international
activists like Hilary Wainwright, John Holloway, Selma James, Ian Manborde,
Jane McAlevey, Eurig Scandrett, Rhetta Moran, Firoze Manji, John Krinsky.

Often we are told we have to choose between our politics and "real life".
This Masters shows how to integrate the two with confidence, practicality,
solidarity, emotional resilience, seeing the bigger picture, taking time out
to reflect and supporting each other for the long haul. Participants
re-engage with their own movements refreshed, with new ideas, thinking and
networks, to set up new projects, to find work in movement organisations, to
go on to further education - and bring back what they have learned to their
own struggles.

defend protect sustain (2)

Image: Spectacle of Defiance and Hope

For more details:  <http://ceesa-ma.blogspot.com> ceesa-ma.blogspot.com &